Thread: Yard Sale Find; Lathe

Yard Sale Find; Lathe

Or Steal I should say, maybe...

It is a Harbor Freight 14 x 39 1/4 Looks like it was treated very good and does not show very much wear.

It is my 1st Lathe so I am pretty happy with the deal. $20.00

I also got a 6" Jointer from the same sale, it also is Harbor Freight. $25.00 I will post a couple pictures of it later.

Think I got some good deals?

The definition of a good deal is when both the buyer and seller are happy with the transaction. Looks like you have already had some fun with the lathe. I would call it a good deal.

jim

Can't beat that price for a starter kit. It's certainly not used and abused.

Rick Potter

OK. Yep. You suck.

Congrats!
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    OK. Yep. You suck.
    I am going to Hell, I just know it...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gan View Post
    I am going to Hell, I just know it...
    Fortunately for you, I am a Pastor. I can help you make sure that doesn't happen.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

I had that lathe once. Make sure you bolt down the unit very securely. Overtightening a piece will cause it to bend where the motor unit bolts to the table unit. But it is a decent machine, and you got a good deal.

Good deal for sure.
    This site has a Woodturner forum also. We can help you spend much more money than you have.
    Did it come with a few tools? Buying tools is the hidden cost of the lathe, tools cost more than the lathe does. In your case though, EVERY tool you buy will cost more than the lathe.

Excellent deal for sure. I like the HF lathes (I'm cheap) but they ARE underpowered. I've burned out two of their motors, one after only a few weeks of use.
    you can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.

It may be a great starter lathe for spindles, but please think twice about trying face plate (bowls) on it. At 1000 rpm minimum, that can be very fast for that style of turning.

There are loads of spindle items that can be made and learn the tool control.

Take some of the money you saved and get a good impact resistant face shield, not just a flimsy face guard made for protecting from splashes of liquids.

Blog Entries
    Ill second the face shield . Find a local AAW turning group , we have a mentoring group that will save you some headache , you need 2 more legs for that stool

Pictures of the Jointer Added

Been a little busy but wanted to post the Jointer.

The machine looks like it has not been used in a very long time. Here in the Desert rust forms pretty slow.

Used RO with some 220 grit and then waxed it up. I have finished the fence, only took about 10 minutes.

Not to bad for $25.00 just need to make a good hookup for my Dust Collector. If I make a plywood form and place it up into the chute rather than on the outside edge it will work pretty good. ???

Blog Entries
    And your first step off the slippery slope into the vortex begins, congratulations
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I'd say you got a couple really good "steals" especially the jointer. As someone also mentioned do not try bowls on the lathe. 1000 rpm minimum speed is much to fast to try an out of round bowl blank. enjoy your new toys I mean tools.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

This was my starter lathe also.

I wound up having to make a torsion box base, and screwing down to the table so that the centers would maintain a semblance of alignment. Also the speed is hard to change, and is much too high for anything but spindle turning.

However, I did have a lot of fun with it- I made some clubs for my young cave men, and a gavel for one of their teachers, and a light house model for my desk (an overlarge glue-up that prompted screwing the whole lathe/bed combo to the table when it started walking around at a very high RPM! ) The bearings finally popped out of the housing and I got rid of it.

I've been much happier with the Jet mini.

But I'll tell you what. For the price you can't beat the fun you'll have with it. Congratulations and get the face shield!
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain