Thread: How would you process this log for turning?

How would you process this log for turning?

Looking for suggestions on where to cut to get the most out of this nice box elder log. In the first picture, the diameter of the log is about 13 inches. In the second picture, the combined diameter of the two branches is about 18 inches. The log is about 25 inches in total length. My instinct is to take the bottom 13 inches off for two nice bowl blanks but I am uncertain what to do with the two-branch end. I suspect that where they meet inside the log there will be some nice color and grain.

Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Because I love twisted grain, I would probably try for a bowl blank from the divided end, then make something smaller out of whatever is left. That may be riskier in terms of cracking, but the reward in beauty could be great.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I'd cut it through the center vertically, then go for two bowls.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do or do not, there is no try.

+1 for a vertical cut

For the crotch piece, I'd separate into 2 uneven pieces. One for a platter, the other for a bowl. All of this assumes you have the swing to turn such a large piece.

For the first piece, if you have the length, get two coffee mugs out of it and two smaller bowls. You may also be able to get a box out of the branch.box elder 1.jpg
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Nagle View Post
    I'd cut it through the center vertically, then go for two bowls.
    I'm with Dennis... I lurves me some crotch grain You could probably get some pen and bottle stopper blanks out of the rest, possibly more.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Cut it right down the center you might waste some wood but it will give you best results when it comes to the grain and color the rest I would cut square and the anchor seal then set aside for a year or two.

Jerry

I agree with Brian idea ,

If you have other parts of the log I would pass on this. A lot of work to get some blanks. There seems to be two branches that would interfere with getting two good size blanks ( unless knots don't bother you). The one knot looks like it will crack for sure. A crotch bowl will be no deeper than the smaller of the two branches, so you'll be turning away the other branch till they are equal. I don't think the crotch wood in box elder is any thing spectacular. If the is any red in it it may then be worth cutting into. Just my two cents.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I heard a statement at a symposium (Lyle Jameison, I think) that we all have the gene that makes us want to get the MOST out of a piece of wood and we need to think in terms of getting the BEST. After all it DOES grow on trees.

Go for the crotch - split the log following the lines of the various piths as much as possible and remember that any good feather is going to be near that plane, so shallow bowls or platters perhaps. If after you split it you do not have any good grain or flame in the crotch, or there is too much bark inclusion, rot, etc, you can still use the section below the crotch for bowls.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

The crotch shows the best grain pattern when turned natural edge with pith at bottom. Even a barkless NE has character. I would also tend to cut a pith slab (remove about 15% of diameter) to help prevent the end checks. You could also leave the "wings" on a crotch section turned conventional with inside toward pith.

12. One thing to note when working crotches - the bark right at the seam can often run in far further than you would think. Locate the upper end of your blank (as oriented on the tree) by cutting slices of maybe a half inch, if possible. Then you can measure and lop off the bottom end and work at the fullest diameter possible.

Can you do deep vases? BE is a very weak and light wood and seldom cracks or splits. Vase or bowls, that have some nice figure in it. The wood cuts and sands easily wet but can be difficult to get a decent final cut if dry. I urge double turning on BE.

Thanks for the input, friends. I plan on following Dennis' suggestion on cutting the log and we'll see what it yields. Robert ... this will be my first shot at turning a vase. It will be interesting!

Larry

I am with Mr Nagel, slice the crotch joining all the pithes to make 2 Y's. Once it is open, place a circle template near the base of the crotch inclusion and see how large a piece you can get from there. As pointed out, if you turn a bowl using the cut line as the bowl top, you will generally cut right through the feather grain and have a not so interesting bowl.

If you can slice off a 2-3 inch thick slice from that cut line, then use the first cut line as the bottom, turn a platter or shallow bowl so that the feather fills the bottom of the piece.

The remains of the long arm should produce a couple of smaller bowl blanks, or you can cut vase blanks out of each piece.