Thread: Tribal woodworkers of Madagascar

Tribal woodworkers of Madagascar

Hello everyone, I'm new at playing with wood.
    Been lurking for few months now and I would like to say :THANK YOU for sharing.

While watching this documentary www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5YzlqVEMNc I was thinking on posting here.

I was drooling over the rosewood for the big pots and amazed for the joinery at new house.
    After watching those skilled craftsman with minimal tools I'm humbled and inspired.

If the link doesn't work just searchLiving Cultures - Wizards Of Wood (Madagascar)

at youtube

Blog Entries
    Hi Bryan,

Welcome to the Creek. What part of the globe do you call home?

It is always inspiring to watch the skills of what could be considered 'primitive cultures' make homes that last for a century without electricity.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Their homes are made from durable woods,not the soft stuff we use. Not the glued up chips,etc..

Now George, you've got it all wrong. I isn't "glued up wood chips", it's engineered lumber.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

How about "Wooden Spam" ?

Blog Entries
    Gorgeous work! The commentary about them carving the pots to sell to tourists for 5x the price was pretty funny.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

And they carve these beautifull pots with all kinds of kitsch themes for the tourists! Essentially destroying their spirit.

Wonderfull men, great skills, hard life.