Thread: Floor Finish for Table Tops/etc

Floor Finish for Table Tops/etc

Just thinking out of the box. Wouldn't floor poly hardwood finish work for finishing items that get a lot of usage? Thinking of bar tops, table tops, counter tops, etc. Just comparing prices and durability. I figure if the finish is used on flooring, it should stand up to darn near anything a person would throw at it.

Something like this. http://www.bona.com/en-US/United-Sta...ings/Finishes/

Again, just thinking out loud.

Blog Entries
    I made a bathroom vanity for my son and his family and used Varathane Diamond Floor Finish to get extra durability. It has worked well for over 8 years so far.
    chris vanity.jpg
    Urethane is available in various durometers and I suspect that floor finishes simply are a formulated to be a bit harder than finishes used on cabinets to give you better wearability.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have moisture cure urethane on a bar top I built in 1991, and there is still not even a scratch on it. I'd use Bona Traffic HD, these days.

the water based polys that I have used that say "floor finish" on the can all had Al oxide in the mix to add abrasion resistance at the expense of some clarity. not that I could tell the difference and when I wanted a long wearing finish that is what i have most often used. Keep in mind that "durability" means difference things depending on usage - for floors it is abrasion resistance but for bar tops it might mean liquid resistance including alcohols.