Thread: convex plane blade

convex plane blade

OK, can you buy a convex blade anywhere or do you have to grind it yourself for you "custom" profile? I'm building my first wooden plane and trying to come up with some parts... any recommendations? thx jess
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Grind it. Will take only a little while. How else could you get the degree of curve you wanted?

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Grind it. Will take only a little while. How else could you get the degree of curve you wanted?
    Let your roughest sharpening stone get dished and use that to make your curve.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Or spring for an Odate crowning plate.

Derek Cohen demonstrates this

Derek Cohen demonstrates this:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Woodwor...e%20Blade.html

This is asked here as well:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...plane-iron-etc

What tools do you have? Will you use power equipment?

Sharpening is mentioned here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-w-Scary-Sharp (nice post by Derek again).

Lie Nielsen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyE7-GBCrGA
    Last edited by Andrew Pitonyak; 06-25-2014 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Same link twice

Just mark the contour you want on the iron with a black Sharpie, and grind away the excess. Find a round object with the radius you want, and use that as a pattern to draw the line.

6" flower pot = 3" radius ( used that to make a scrub plane iron for the Windsor #33)
    10" can = 5" radius

The larger flower pot made a 8" radius. Currently sitting as a scrub iron for a jack plane.

I set up the rest for the grinder @ 25 degrees for my irons. I just followed the black line to grind the camber. Hollow ground, no less. Then scary sharp to hone the edge.

Not that hard to do, if I can do it.....

Thanks for all the info guys! Some very helpful stuff.... I have metal working tools (I work on a farm....) but nothing real fancy... but I think i can get it done.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Hocktools sells convex plane blades with 4", 5", and 6" radiuses.

When i first bought a scrub plane (Stanley 40 in rough shape) many many years ago now, I had no grinder, but Ron Hock offered a fresh blade with the curve already on it. It's been a great plane ever since.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Some will go out and BUY a new iron. I don't have that kind of spare change. On the H-F Windsor #33, the iron IS quite thick, as it is a single iron plane. On the Corsair C-5, I ground an 8" radius on the iron, then reused the chipbreaker. I set that just shy of the corners. Neither plane has even a hint of chatter. I just had to LEARN how to grind a camber. The #33 has a 3" camber, as the plane is about the same size as a #3 Stanley.

$10 for the Windsor #33 plus tax( didn't have a coupon) as for the Corsair C-5? $8 out the door at an Antique store.....

I agree that you can grind your own, but Ron Hock makes excellent blades and the convex one I bought needed very little modification to fit the curve I needed.