Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel Repellent

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I actually live-trap them, then relocate to another neighborhood (LOL)...

Urban neighborhood for us, so "high-velocity projectiles" not an option(as much as I wish I could....). We have a bird feeder and I do not mind squirrels here or there but they get accustomed to free food and then I have a dozen. So, I just trap them, then take them to some other area. No joke: "Honey, Starbucks run. I got a couple of squirrels". I think my record is six in one day.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    A few years ago we had a Red Squirrel getting into the house and trying to chew up fruit we had stored in the garage. It was moving apples all over the garage. I set a live trap and had him the next morning. I dropped it off 2 miles from our house on the way to work. He beat me home as he was in the garage getting apples when I got home from work. I caught him a second time and this time I relocated him over 5 miles away. He didn't return.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Roy can't tell a good squirrel from a bad one. So he kills them all and lets God sort them out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You have a huge oak tree. It is impossible to keep squirrels away. Want to get them to leave - cut down the huge oak tree.

I live trap them until there are only a few left. We had a family of 7 foxes here for a while and that kept them out of site but I think the foxes have moved on so the squirrels are back in force. It is time to set the traps again. I use the black sun flower seed as bait, it works on almost all of the critters. I have a nuisance raccoon that isn't falling for the bait so I will have to change my strategies for it. I also transfer the critters to a natural habitat or a state forest that is at least 5 miles away. I can shoot them but my aim is terrible.
    David B

Last year we had a squirrel hanging out near my son's Jeep. I think he was licking road salt or something underneath. He also chewed the gas line. We didn't know it until my son drove his Jeep to play soccer. When he got there he smelled gas and saw a little puddle underneath. I went to check it out and had him click on the ignition to start the fuel pump. It sprayed gas out in several places and very near the muffler and tailpipe. The holes it chewed weren't big enough to keep the Jeep from running but big enough to lay down a nice trail of fuel the 4 or 5 miles to the soccer field. Had to have it towed but glad it didn't go up in flames.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Roy can't tell a good squirrel from a bad one. So he kills them all and lets God sort them out.
    Good Dog, Roy.

I had a small family cribbing on the Cedar shingles that cover the side of my house.

I have no idea why the little vermin do something like this, and don't much care.
    If they had naked tails, people wouldn't think they were cute.

I sprayed a (n apparently) bitter compound on the patch they were shredding and got a dog.
    Mine isn't as competent as Phil's dog Roy, but they've backed away from the house proper.

The worst was when I had one trying to nest in my basement rafters - where I have my shop.
    It took strategy, well placed plywood "chutes" my hockey stick and an open bulkhead to evict the trespasser.

I hate these climbing rats, passionately.

may I suggest that you could eat them

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    Ding, ding. We have a winner.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Ding, ding. We have a winner.
    and what did I win ? squirrels to eat I hope

Funny stuff! I just want to keep them from chewing up the various plastic items I have in the backyard. I figured some kind of cayenne pepper spray on the plastic items might dissuade them from chewing them up. That is all I'm looking for. I found various sprays but just wondered of any experience here from the collective.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    Just don't forget to remove the pellets first.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Funny stuff! I just want to keep them from chewing up the various plastic items I have in the backyard. I figured some kind of cayenne pepper spray on the plastic items might dissuade them from chewing them up. That is all I'm looking for. I found various sprays but just wondered of any experience here from the collective.
    Wait, I missed that. Why are squirrels chewing on plastic? That is very strange behavior. Nothing I've ever seen before

12 Gauge, 22 LR or you could go for the Squirrel Catapult!!