Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: liquid hide glue for sizing

Doug

I think your right about much to do about nothing. I'm concerned that the oil isn't penetrating due to the sizing and personal I like the look of the the other sample in this small test I'm doing. I think what I'm going to do is BLO on the drawer fronts, sans sizing, and follow up with shellac in the future if I feel like it, ditto for the table's top.

I'm not to keen on polys, not easily fixed in my opinion. And the reality is, though it is a kitchen table it gets used more like a desk. And no kids.

I guess the only reason I'm going down this path (hide glue size) is cause I'd like to due hammer veneering very soon and I guess I'm trying to duplicate that as best I can. Probably should have stopped after I squeegeed on the hide glue. I don't know, but I'm learning.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    I'd like to due hammer veneering very soon and I guess I'm trying to duplicate that as best I can. Probably should have stopped after I squeegeed on the hide glue. I don't know, but I'm learning.
    You're setting trends for your contemporaries.

Lead on, if you succeed we will copy you and claim credit.
    If you fail, we will kibbitz about how we woulda dunnit bettah.

Thanks for the encouragement, Jim.

Here's a cherry crotch for the same as my drawer fronts, freshly planed.

IMAG2074.jpg

They're cooking, I'm also dewing (trying to be constant with my last post) just some normal, boring cherry. Sizing on the right.

IMAG2075.jpg IMAG2077.jpg

I wonder if I'm asking the right questions, or maybe asking them the wrong way.... If my questions aren't more just hammer veneering questions.

That said, Jim, your opening my eyes to what some luthiers are doing is very tantalizing.

This morning I watched this video of Roy's, with a mention of our own George Wilson.

Here's the link.... Good stuff!

http:// Woodwright's Shop Hammer Veneer Full Episode: http://youtu.be/zHR69tufPws
    Last edited by Judson Green; 07-03-2014 at 7:41 PM.

Here's the samples after 2 coats of liquid hide glue size, rubbing out in between with a maroon Scotch Brite pad, and 1 coat of linseed oil.

I oiled these last night and rubbed off the excess about 2 hours latter. Both non-sized samples drank in the oil, both sized samples had the oil sitting on the top, even after the 2 hours.

Sized on the right.

Soon after applying the oil...

IMAG2079.jpg IMAG2080.jpg

Two hours later, after rubbing off the excess.

IMAG2083.jpg IMAG2085.jpg

I think the crotch is developing a little chatoyance. Ha, that sounds funny.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 07-06-2014 at 9:39 AM.

OK 2 coats of linseed oil. The non-sized side is still drinking up the oil, seems the sized side still has a near complete surface of liquid oil on it. Sized on the right. Note the time stamp in the lower right of the photos. Last photo is with the sample wiped off.

IMAG2094.jpg IMAG2098.jpg IMAG2100.jpg

Well, I think I like where this going, so I decided to go ahead a size my drawer fronts.... fingers crossed. If there is any chatoyance, its slight, but I do like that the sizing seems to make the surface a little shinier. I'm not sure if I'll do this for the table top or not.

IMAG2107.jpg IMAG2109.jpg

After sizing.