Thread: Paint Mask Tape

Talking Paint Mask Tape

I had been using some leftover vinyl transfer tape for a paint mask but the sticky side is to old and leaves a gooey mess.

I purchased some Scotch Blue Painters tape today and it works like a dream. Even did my test cut 2x and it stuck fast and still provided a good mask . I know I can get this stuff in 3" wide but is there something just as good in the wider widths that does not cost a fortune to buy?
    I can get the Blue Tape locally so that's great.

Saw some specially stuff advertised as $180 for a 100 ft roll? Suggestions please?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Try Bron tapes-- Closest one to you is Texas I'm afraid, but- they SHOULD have the type of tape you want, and they'll make it any width you want.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Well their website says nothing about laser masking or any details. Seems like its a Contact Us place where someone will try to figure out what you are asking about? I guess I was looking for suggestions from people who are using a product and would recommend it.

I use their products, have done for years. I only buy two types of tape, their "yellow" tape that holds like gangbusters, and basic white-paper based tape I use for temp hold-downs.

Their website is a bit lame, but they have a store near me so it's a bit more handy!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Bill,

Any reason you're not purchasing a new roll of transfer tape? If your only complaint is the old stuff is too, well, old and failing...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Bill,

Any reason you're not purchasing a new roll of transfer tape? If your only complaint is the old stuff is too, well, old and failing...
    Dan sorry it took so long to reply. The stuff I was using I got for free a few years back when I was experimenting with vinyl cutting. The place locally here is no longer open. Can you suggest a brand perhaps you are using and where you purchased? I would be happy with just paper transfer tape instead of the clear I was using.

Blog Entries
    If you don't have a local shop, you can get transfer tape from eBay, Amazon, JDS, etc. I'd get a decent brand, like 3M or Oracal...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I buy mine from the wholesale sign supply company. They will cut it to width as well. I believe a log is 54" wide.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I don't have a wholesale or vinyl supply house and I was going to use this for a mask when laser cutting graphics for paint fill. Looking for a brand and part number that someone is using now with a laser and with success. Six inch or eight inch wide or so would be fine.

Blog Entries
    If a simple masking tape would work I noticed Scott at Rabbit Laser USA was saying he had great luck with the paper masking tape at Harbor Freight? Here are his comments about it if that helps at all. Certainly is inexpensive if it will do what you want. I see it in sizes up to 2 inches wide, 45 foot rolls, listed at $9 for a pack of 6 45 yard rolls x 2inches wide.

Dave

Masking tape is used during daily operations to protect the surface of the materials from residue. Example: Place a wide stripe of tape on a piece of wood and engrave your name thru the tape. The fumes/residue is blown down onto the tape.. not into the wood. Redmove the tape after the residue is dry. The wood is protected from discoloration. The best tape for laser application is found at Harbor Freight. The Harbor Freight product has much less glue to burn, less plastic in the "tape" to burn, more paper in the "tape" that burns easily for marking and cutting. My experience says the Harbor Freight tape works very well and is a fair price.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Sounds fine but once again looking for either 4 or 6 inch wide transfer or masking tape to use as a cutting mask for paint fill work.