Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nose hair

Nose hair

In the home I was raised in we were literally not taught the very basics of hygiene. I was never shown how to shave. Bathing was done once a week on Saturday nights. Hence the question, a two parter.

When I shave I am left with a small area directly under my nose that the razor won't reach. How do people deal with this? Okay, a lot have a mustache; my wife refuses to kiss a mustache. How to shave it clean up to my nose?

Part deux, nose hair inside the nose. I know there are trimmers for these but have never used one. What trimmer would be a good one that is inexpensive? Is there such an animal?

I have decided to set my alarm 5 minutes earlier and shave every day, thus the nose hair question arises from my 3:45 am morning routine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Tweezers work really well Moses.

Wow, seems like that would hurt. What brand of tweezers do you recommend? Will have to check Lee Valley.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Do NOT tweeze them unless you want the mother of all ingrown hairs.

Get a small scissors and cut them close. Same with nose hair.

Moses, go to one of the local amish or mennonite stores. There should be some sort of off brand 2 blade razor with a very small head that will allow you to get all of the way up there under your nose - and without taking any risks.

With a straight razor, that hair is trivial. Maybe we can get you into that yet.

Been at a wedding where there was an amishman as a guest (and there are plenty around there who talk to the english), and my friend's soon-to-be wife called him and said "abner, if you're coming to my wedding, take a bath". I talked to him for a while at the reception, he might've taken a bath, but I don't think he washed the clothes he wore.

I kid you not when I say this, if you're not comfortable with a straight razor, but you have a pocket knife you'd be willing to sharpen, you can use a pocket knife to shave that hair - just to ping those few hairs off.

Can't help on the hairs inside the nose.

Moses,

For nose hairs, do an internet search for Norelco Nose trimmer.

I use this: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelc...e+brow+trimmer

It's fast and painless.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Moses,

Moses.

A few contortions of the nose and lip gets my Schick safety razor into the right place. However for inside the nose (and the ears) a little battery powered unit like in the photos does the job. Some version of this is available at most drug stores and WallMart etc... This one uses a AA battery and has never nicked me. It is about 6 inches long, and the business end is about 5/8 inches long.

iphoto.JPGiphoto-2.JPGpihoto-3.JPG

Tweezers work for me for the inside-the-nose (been doing it that way for years, never had an ingrown hair that I know of).

As for outside, but just under the nose, I use the Gillette Fusion razors (pricey, but they're the bees knees, and they last), which are 5 blades for the main shaving, then there's a single blade on back for getting a good line on your sideburns or getting those spots under the nose. It helps to use your upper lip muscles to pull that downward, tightening it and making the hair close to the nose easier to shave.

Pat, lighten up. Moses trusted us enough to ask a sensitive question, I don't see why we can't oblige him. It's the off topic forum after all, you don't have to read it, and the subject he put on the thread was fair enough warning, I'd say.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Blog Entries
    Can't believe I am answering this. And it looks like Pat's response got deleted. I have a stash now, but prior, my Norelco electric seem to do fine on the upper lip. And the fine blade on my Norelco beard trimmer works good on the excess nose hair without probing the proboscis too deeply if you know what I mean. I tried their nose hair attachment, but it tickled so much I couldn't stand it.
    NOW you tell me...

This is what I have for trimming hair INSIDE the nose

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-ER43.../dp/B000FYVOJC

Why this one?

• Inexpensive (relatively speaking) about $25.
    • Has a vacuum so that it will suck most of the trimmed hairs OUT of the nose so you are less likely to be sneezing them out later.
    • Not likely to cause a problem if you jam it in too far and smack the side of your nose inside
    • 900 reviews with an average rating of 4.5 / 5 on Amazon

Moses, I take it that you're now using the Gillette double edge razor. The rounded top makes it hard to get close under the nose. I know, I've been using one I now have for 30 years. With practice you can turn the razor sideways and get closer that way. Since you're working with the corner of the blade the odds of nicking and cutting yourself goes through the roof so it may not work out for you. Also the sides of the blade stick out from under the cover. Even though they're not sharpened the thin edge *WILL* scratch your nose so be careful. I use a finger on my other hand, hold it so under my nose that the side of the blade hits my fingernail before it hits my nose.

I have to say if I tried to shave at 3:45 in the morning I'd probably cut my entire nose off.

For nose hair I use the scissors with the blunted tips. It's a bit slow and the cut hairs tickle but it works. If you haven't seen them you can search for nose hair scissors on the 'net. The pair I have were really cheap, had to drawfile an edge so I would have something to hone. You get what you pay for, and sometimes you don't even get that much.

By the way, I have to say that you've sure got a lot of guts to ask this type of question. You get a star for this one!

-Tom S.

Got tired of trimming my nose hair. While many people think I have a mustache it's actually cultivated and waxed nose hair.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I use hair clippers and MOVE the clippers very slow or I will cut more than the hairs

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Tweezers work for me for the inside-the-nose .
    Don't tweeze. It is actually dangerous, not to mention painful.
    http://amarillo.com/stories/2007/02/..._6813812.shtml

Don't know about the hair under the nose; I just shave and there is no hair. But I guess we are all different.

But I have to ask; where are you from that there is no personal hygiene?