Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Veritas Bench Holddown Catastrophic Failure

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I'm sure that when LV sees this thread,they'll make it right.

Probably a case of an underling being afraid to exceed their authority.
    Yup - customer service is already on it....if it breaks - we'll replace it....

Cheers -

Rob

That's what I thought!!

Contact rosspm@msn.com. Peter does answer his email, but 8 week backlog.

Truly an heirloom tool that will last for generations.

Stan

I agree, the roll pin looks like the weak link, and if I was designing something like this, the inexpensive and easily-replaced roll pin would be designed to fail first saving the arm. Maybe it is, but the pin held up, and the arm fractured directly above and below the roll pin hole.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Yup - customer service is already on it....if it breaks - we'll replace it....

Cheers -

Rob
    I received an email from Lee Valley today informing me the part is being sent to me free-of-charge. Reading the email, it appears LV does not intend to charge me UPS postage either, but since it is international, and expensive to ship to Japan, and certainly not LV's fault I live so far away, I will reimburse them for the shipping cost.

I have bought lots of tools and hardware from LV over the years, and heard that they have great service for defective merchandise, but have never had anything break, or received a defective tool or merchandise before now, and so have never experienced their customer service. I must say that it appears LV's customer service is everything they say it is. Thanks, Rob.

Stan

You know with all the car recalls going on and companies waiting years after they find out a problem its good to see that there are still companies that stand behind their product. I lost the plastic angle finder to a LV tool rest and they sent me a new one and would not charge me at let me pay shipping and I told them it was my fault I lost it.
    You know we have St. Roy maybe we should start calling Mr. Lee St. Rob.

Blog Entries
    I also have one that sees constant use. I'll be just a bit more careful with it from this point as I'd hate to see it go out of commission.

Most of the stuff are of high standard. LV does learn from mistakes. The shooting plane handle with the adjustable bolt does intrigue me. I hope the stress of the shooting does not crack it.

The rest like LV LAJ is of excellent design no issues there. Very solid built.

Blog Entries
    I was using mine today. I really didn't put much force on it as I was mostly inlaying material. But there have been times where it has been subjected to some real stress.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I have two of the same and been using it over the last 12 years. Admittedly I spend little time woodworking, but never had any issues with mine. I would rather turn a screw to apply force rather than doing it with a mallet, so love the Veritas version. I was sure LV would make it right and glad to see it is the case.
    Last edited by Frank Martin; 06-27-2014 at 10:18 PM.

Any Galoots in Central PA, that get the State College PBS station (WPSU), at 10:00 AM Roy Underhill's show is a repeat of forging holdfasts (probably Peter Ross).
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Kemble View Post
    I looked at the ones on TFWW and I think they can't be beat for the price. I have a top slightly over 4" thick clamped up downstairs and was wondering if the forged ones may be a better fit.
    For the price, you are supposed to beat the holdfasts...
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    FYI, I have the gramercy holdfasts and a 4" thick top. Work just fine.

c
    Interesting…my top started out at almost 4" and the Gramercy holdfasts did not work at all, out of the box. Counterboring the holes from the underside fixed the problem. Hole diameter might have something to do with it also…my holes were right at .750 and are probably a tad under now, as the top has shrunk. Sloppier holes might work better with a thicker top.

Now where ever I go . . . there is a role pin lurking.

Role pins here. Role pins there.
    You got me looking at role pins.
    I never paid much attention before.
    I was surprised to see one in this tool. It is right at the base of the little adjustable hook. It connects the hook to the selected adjusting notch.
    http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-FFS-...e+straightener

I use these for every thing. They are a bicycle tool but they make a first rate "cheater bar". You can use them in pairs. I have had so much force on them at times, with a long pipe on the end of the cheater bar, ha, ha, (now that is really cheating) that the tool goes sproing and gets kind of sprung side ways . . .
    but the role pin has never, in more than thirty years of doing this kind of thing, ever given out or got mashed and fell out etc.

Hard to tell from the photo but this Park tool is about three feet long.

Strong things role pins, I would'a put a solid pin there if I was designing this leverage tool.

The role pin is for sure plenty strong.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 06-28-2014 at 9:30 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

I wanted to give an update.

I received a replacement arm from Lee Valley last week. It was sent to me here in Tokyo via international express. Lee Valley's Customer Service Lady wrote that the whole matter was a misunderstanding, and that the tool was indeed fully guaranteed per LV's standard CS policy. She politely declined my offer to pay the shipping costs. This was not only more than I expected, it was more than the circumstances warranted in light of the part having been used for several years before failure.

Lee Valley is a classy outfit that really does put a high priority on customer satisfaction, even when it costs them money. In this day when most CEO's can't put their socks on in the morning without first getting advice from their lawyers, and the quality of weasel words used are deemed more important the the quality of the product being sold, LV stands out as very different from the crowd. I will continue to do business with them.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    I own two of Veritas's screw-action holddowns.

I have used them for several years, and found them convenient. A couple of weeks ago, however, one of them broke right at the pivot point. Looking at the poor, broken thing, it seems a miracle it held up as long as it did. Not much meat at a critical location.

I never tightened it other than by hand, nor did I strike it with tools. The point I am making is that they were not abused.

The lady at Veritas offered to sell a replacement arm to me for $21.50, but by the time I pay the shipping cost to Japan, I could almost buy a new one.

Chris Vandiver kindly gave me a couple of his Peter Ross's handforged traditional holddowns to use, and they are absolutely wonderful! I highly recommend them.

Simple is best. Caveat Emptor.