Thread: Vix Bit How to

Vix Bit How to

Hi,

Last weekend, I tried to use my Vix Bit, and have a couple of questions.
    (Have searched this forum and internet.)
    First-it seems really hard to set the proper depth of the drill bit-I guess it is not really necessary to precisely set the depth?
    Second-The maximum depth you can get a pilot hole is only 1/2 to 3/4", right?
    And-is the spring inside supposed to be so hard to compress?
    And-The original bit by Mr. Vick....is it really any better?

Thank You, David

I've three or four of them. It never occurred to me to change the depth of the drill. It's only rarely that I've ever found the hole wasn't deep enough. In those cases I just put in a standard bit and finished the hole. Mine are all original Vix Bits and I've never found the spring tension to be especially stiff but you wouldn't want it to be too soft or the bit would bite before the sleeve can get centered in the hole.

I have a couple vix type bits that are 14" for use in the Rockler type shelf pin drilling jigs. At least one of them is adjusted to drill a bit deeper, because I had trouble with some shelf pins being a bit longer than others. I also use some jigs with longer dowels to go in shelf pin holes. Just a bit of sawdust under the plastic jig shortens the hole.

Mine is set to about 9/16" or so. End of problem.

Rick P

Blog Entries
    I like the drill to be right at the end of the spring loaded nose so that it contacts the material almost immediately when drilling. For deeper holes I use the VIX to start the hole and use a regular bit for greater depth.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler