Thread: Clear grain filler options

Clear grain filler options

In another thread I asked about coloring Timber Mate to match the walnut color. While thinking this through, I would actually prefer a clear grain filler. Quick research shows CrystaLac available through Rockler may be a good option. Top coat will be General Finishes Enduro Clear poly. Anyone has experience with this product or other suggestions for a clear grain filler to use with walnut.

I use Aqua Coat. If you are using a dye I would get a couple of coats of finish on before applying the grain filler. They say you can put it on first and then dye, but I have had better results putting it on after a couple of coats of finish. Plus you don't have to worry as much about a sand through.

Most of the reports I have seen of the waterborne clear grain fillers complain about the shrinkage, so that it may take several coats to really achieve a glass smooth surface.

It's true that you "can" apply dye to these fillers, but it seldom takes the dye the same as raw wood. For sure I would dye before grain filling. I'd also use pigmented stain before clear grain filler.

To clarify, I have no intention to dye the wood itself. I was merely using dye to tint the filler itself as I had neutral colored filler instead of walnut color as Woodcraft was out of it. I will try the clear filler as one thing I did not like about the neutral filler is how it muddies / mutes down the walnut grain. Hopefully clear filler will just fill the grains rather than muddying the pattern.

I did some search and did see that it generally takes 2-3 coats of clear grain filler to get the job done. Will try that. I was not sure if there a better product that others, but seems like Crystalac is a decent one, so will go with as it is locally available.

I haven't used it, but that will be what I try on walnut next time. On my prior walnut coffee table I tried Behlen's natural colored, and I "tried" to tint it black just to fill the pores (I had already sealed the wood). For the life of me, I could not get a nice black using Mixol, it came out a muddy greyish-black. It was a barely accceptable color, but I went with it. Like I said, next time I'll try the clear stuff.

When tinting grain filler pigments are the way to go. Clarity isn't something you want in this instance, coverage is and that is where pigments shine. For the WB fillers I am sure artists acrylics would work fine but I would test it first.