Thread: Sourcing Blank Wooden Plaques.

Sourcing Blank Wooden Plaques.

Hi all.

I'm running a CNC Router/Laser engraver out of Australia.

We've been making timber plaques for various clients for some time now, a long time prior to purchasing our laser.
    Now I'm trying to source blank wooden plaques for myself. Strange huh?
    I've decided they're too much work for what they're worth. I'm not sure how any of my clients make money from engraving them.
    I'm making plenty of plaques from Acrylic, they're easy. I just cut them, bevel the edges then flame polish them then stick my engraving plate on the face. Done.
    The timber plaques however, they're cut, beveled, grain filled, beveled edges sanded, painted with a sealer, then have to wait for it to dry. Then paint the edges. It's a very lengthy process, one that creates a very good quality product, but very pricey to our customers. One I can't see the worth in if I am to laser myself. Time is money.
    So I'm trying to source finished blank plaques, I'm talking no prep what so ever. Engraving being the last step.
    However there's not too much here in Australia. So i've taken to alibaba. I've never bought from China. Well I bought a laser once, and never again. So I'm quite narrow minded when it comes to sourcing from China.
    So, does anybody buy wooden plaques from alibaba? Something that is cheap, of a good quality, and does not need an engraving plate on the face. Where I can engrave directly onto the face with a nice high contrast etch without having to remove any lacquers or anything like that.

Tough ask I know, but worth a try.

Thanks in advance.
    Epilog Fusion 40 (60w)
    CAMaster CNC Router.
    Flame Polisher
    Range of sanders
    Drill Press
    Table Saw

Michael

I cannot answer your question exactly but my most popular wood plaques are the high gloss mahogany from JDS Industries. They come from Sri Lanka. I don't know if you can find them but they are quite reasonably priced and very attractive with consistent quality.

I either color fill them with gold or use metal plates on them.

http://php.jdsindustries.com/JDS_SIT...E3&MENU2=MENU2
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Hi Michael,

have you tried...

a) Interleisure
    b) TCD (Trophy Components Distributors).

I have accounts with both, they have quite a range of plaques to suit all budgets.

cheers,
    Chris
    HARDWARE - Macbook Retina Pro - Toshiba Satellite - Epilog Helix 60W Co2 Laser & Rotary - Trotec Speedy 300 Co2 Laser - Gravo IS400 IQ Engraver. - Pcut CTO630 Vinyl Cutter. - Wacom DTF720 Touch / Trace Screen - GKS DC16 Sublimation Press - Chinese 6040 CNC Router
    SOFTWARE - VMware Fusion / Windows 8.1 - Coreldraw X6 - Trotec Job Control 9.4.4.2 - E-cut - Gravostyle 7 - ULS 1Touch Photo - BizzWizz Invoicing / Stock Control / Ledger - VB6 Pro - Mach3 - V-Carve Desktop