Thread: Rocking horse

Rocking horse

I thought I would share my Little Rockinghorse that I made into a penny bank for my daughter. Here's a little video, thanks for watching.

Blog Entries
    I'm both impressed and at a loss for words. A normal mind could not conceive of such a project.
    (meant as a compliment, you are obviously thinking at a plane higher than mine)
    Very nice, impressive job. I'm curious why you called it a piggy bank.

The sawing routine with the horse above the saw was a little scary for me. Any number of things could have developed.

Again, very nice job.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 06-27-2014 at 11:50 AM.

I'm just impressed, at all of it.

This was a great project. Very creative and well executed. I enjoyed watching the rocker cutting process as that was also very creative solution. The best was the image of your daughter at the end. Priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I'm both impressed and at a loss for words. A normal mind could not conceive of such a project.
    (meant as a compliment, you are obviously thinking at a plane higher than mine)
    Very nice, impressive job. I'm curious why you called it a piggy bank.

The sawing routine with the horse above the saw was a little scary for me. Any number of things could have developed.

Again, very nice job.
    Well thanks for the compliments. I wanted to use minimal amount of tooling. After roughly jigsawing all the components, I realized it was not going to be stable unless I built those complementary wedges. At the time I did not have my heavy floor jointer so I opted to use the tablesaw for two reasons. The blade would adjust up to keep taking smaller cuts and not having to shift the radius. I screwed and hung a bar roughly 1 foot from the ceiling that was 4 feet long 1 inch in diameter. The horse was clamped two sheets of quarter inch OSB at perpendicular. I wanted the rockers to be perfectly in time with each other. Since the rockers made up of two three-quarter inch sheets per side, the jigsawing was pretty lumpy when it rocked. This was the only idea I came up with to smooth out the rockers perfectly. As I rocked it I was as well sliding along the bar. That process took probably four hours to set up an 15 minutes to cut. Piggybank??? Not sure should've I called it a horsy bank ? Inside the belly of the horse will hold 1 gallon of change. I used the slugs and displaced water to measure the volume that it would hold. Living here in Canada we have something called a Tooney (two dollar coin). Every day I try to come home from work with at least one and give it to my daughter to fill her horse with. Based on my calculations it should hold 3200. That would increase it's dry weight from 20 pounds to close to 70 when filled.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 06-27-2014 at 8:05 PM.

That's a lot of work- cutting, segmenting, gluing, sanding , wood planing etc! I enjoyed watching the whole
    process! That's goin' to bring a lot of memories for your daughter while she's growing! Absolutely a fun build!
    Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Dundon View Post
    That's a lot of work- cutting, segmenting, gluing, sanding , wood planing etc! I enjoyed watching the whole
    process! That's goin' to bring a lot of memories for your daughter while she's growing! Absolutely a fun build!
    Great job.
    Thanks....... My daughter loves it. And maybe soon my son will too...

Blog Entries
    I just viewed your post again.

I'm still impressed!

Amazing job and the final product is just super.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

I just viewed your post again.

I'm still impressed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Eyre View Post
    Amazing job and the final product is just super.
    Thanks guys. I do love the compliments. I am not somebody that has many woodworking tools, so most often I get to improvise. I am not a stranger to danger tools as every day I work with machines that cut and rip metal. This was one of my more artistic woodworking pieces that I am quite proud of. So thanks for those who watch the video and enjoyed my endeavors.

I'm curious why you called it a piggy bank.
    Sorry, I missed this question way back at the beginning. I designed this piggy bank/Rockinghorse to be a dual function. I live in Canada and our largest coin currency is it $2. When I made this Rockinghorse I wanted it to be a daddy's savings plan for his daughter. Any time, I came home with a two dollar coin in my pocket it would get deposited into the Rockinghorse. If you've watch the video, there is a void of just over 4 L (or 1 gallon) for change to be obtained in the middle of the belly of the horse. Based on my calculations this horse could be worth over $6000can one day, not including the workmanship.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 12-21-2014 at 12:54 AM.

Beautiful, The ingenuity of some woodworkers continue to amaze me.

I just watched your video that is so good nice job. Down here in kentucky.