Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whiteside Spiral Bits

Whiteside Spiral Bits

OK, so I'm having a hard time drilling shelf pin holes. I made a jig and used the bits from Rockler designed to drill holes. I have a 1/4 and 9/32 bit. Both of them ripped the crap out of the plywood. I believe my drill speed was not high enough, according to my previous thread.

So, I ordered a Whiteside 1/4 spiral downcut bit, recommended by someone on this board, and a 9/32 upcut bit. Using the same jig I made, and a collar on the router, I plunged the holes. Guess what? No tear out, but both holes are too big!! AARGH!! Plus, the downcut bit burnt the wood.

Where am I going wrong in trying to make shelf pin holes???

Are you sure your pins are not undersized?

Are your pins 5mm? (e.g. Ikea pins)

You my have pins that are 5mm, they're a tight fit in a 3/16 in. hole. You may have that size. Prashun is on track with the undersize pin suggestion. Get some 1/4 in. pins to use with your 1/4 in. bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Are you sure your pins are not undersized?
    The pins and the sleeves fit the holes that the Rockler bits made. It's just that the Rockler drill pin bits chipped the crap out of the ply. This is why I tried the router route.

I use the spring loaded Rockler bit and it works fine in plywood IF you run it at high speed and slowly plunge it into the wood. I use it with Rockler's plexiglass shelf pin guide with a corded drill that must run at something greater than 2000 rpm. Full speed + slowly plunge into the wood = smooth holes for me. 1/4" shelf pins fit perfectly in the 1/4" holes, not too loose, not too tight, just right.

John

My experience with the Rockler bit is the same as John's. My results using their shelf pin system were flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    My experience with the Rockler bit is the same as John's. My results using their shelf pin system were flawless.
    I guess I will go back and practice with the Rockler bits with my ELECTRIC drill. Still, it's pissing me off with the Whiteside bits and router combo!!

Thanks

FYI
    I use a 3/16" Veining high speed steel bit for all of my 5mm shelf pin holes with a shop made fixture and my router no burning no tear out, I have picked up this type of bit for under $2.00 on sale. One high speed steel bit will last for over 300 holes. Also works with 1/4" Veining bit for that size hole. Hope this helps . Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    FYI
    I use a 3/16" Veining high speed steel bit for all of my 5mm shelf pin holes with a shop made fixture and my router no burning no tear out, I have picked up this type of bit for under $2.00 on sale. One high speed steel bit will last for over 300 holes. Also works with 1/4" Veining bit for that size hole. Hope this helps . Tom
    Yes!! So the 1/4 bit will produce the hole required for the 1/4 shelf pin. I'm just being a little gun shy here after using the Whiteside bits with failure being the prevelant outcome.

I want to use shelf pin sleeves, so who has the best router bit for that (9/32)?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    Yes!! So the 1/4 bit will produce the hole required for the 1/4 shelf pin. I'm just being a little gun shy here after using the Whiteside bits with failure being the prevelant outcome.

I want to use shelf pin sleeves, so who has the best router bit for that (9/32)?
    The culprit could be run out on the router, if the holes are larger than the bit.

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    The pins and the sleeves fit the holes that the Rockler bits made. It's just that the Rockler drill pin bits chipped the crap out of the ply. This is why I tried the router route.
    I won't defend Rockler's bits, but they sell both 1/4 inch and 5mm pins and sleeves. You should check the part numbers to see which you have. That could be why you can't get a good fit using the Whiteside bits.

If there is a problem with Whiteside bits they would really like to know about it. As a matter of fact, so would we.

We sell Whiteside and a problem with them is very rare. Not impossible, of course, just extremely rare.

We don't show that we sold you those bits but we would still like to buy them from you. Call Whitney at 800 346-8274 (8-4, M-F West Coast) and she will take care of you or email csq@carbideprocessors.com

Tom
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Blog Entries
    I am jealous of the folks who had success with the Rockler spring loaded bit. Mine drill poor holes and heated up so much it stuck to the plastic guide. I have read good and poor reviews and can only attribute this to inconsistent product quality(?). A 1/4" Whiteside carbide upcut spiral at 30k RPM in a plunge router with a template guide yields flawless results with the same jig.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I second the up cut bit. I also tried the down cut & it burnt the hole. Up cut didn't....I never had good success with the spring loaded Rockler bit. Tore to much even with a high speed drill.