Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Money in Woodworking?

Blog Entries
    Even the most successful furniture makers, architects and designers of the 20th century struggled until they were well into their careers. Many of them found a consistent revenue stream which would support their primary interest of private commissions, which was in many cases was licensing or design work. If there was one career I would like to fallow, it would be that of Hans Wegner, who was a furniture designer who specialized in designing furniture that would be produced by both cabinet shops and manufacturers. He would hand build prototypes and work with the shops at every level of production until the final piece was perfected.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Woodworking as a hobby seems to be on the upswing (seems it has been for about 5-10 years now). I think there is room out there if you want to be a full time woodworker, just maybe by not doing all the work, but teaching others the hobby of woodworking, via the internet. The Wood Whisperer is a good example of this, Marc started out in a small to medium sized shop and today has a shop a lot of us envy. I have heard Marc speak on this subject, and he has said he's never going to get rich by doing this, but at the same time he is not punching a time clock anymore either. I just heard the other day the Drunken Woodworker is leaving his 9-5 job to give his internet business and podcast 100 percent of his time... I still think if I were going down this rabbet hole I would keep at least a part time job if not my full time paycheck for awhile, until my podcast and store could support itself. JMHO

3. "It is not the critic who counts. Not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena. Whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood. Who strives valiantly. Who errs. Who comes short again and again. Because there is no effort without error and shortcoming. But who does actually strive to do the deeds. Who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions. Who spends himself in a worthy cause. Who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement. And who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly." Theodore Roosevelt

I say chase your dream and damn the torpedoes.

I live in the south but I'm from the north.
    There are many good posts here. Very telling of the honesty you guys have. Wouldn't it be great if we all were building and rolling in the money. I never saw an avenue to make money in wood without a great deal of hard work and labor. Seems most successful people in the wood biz also have many employees generating revenue. Pay the worker a good wage and charge the buyer slightly more. Add up the slightly mores and you have some income.

Early on in my woodworking I fell in love with Shaker furniture. Thomas Moser was one of the experts on the subject and wrote a few books too. I have built about 20 of his designs. He is an example of someone who took his passion and made a great living doing it. He I'm sure is one of the very few.

http://www.thosmoser.com/

Don

I read the first sentence, and gave up.
    You need to use paragraphs. Reading a page of text in that format is impossible.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Most of us here never claimed to be an author...lol
    I will try to keep the paragraph thing in mind, even though most texts I post are not even a paragraph long!

7. high level conversation.

Clients, wanna listen and examine your priorities? We people who do art do it because we love you, and not for the money. Hashtag that.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin Williams View Post
    very few customers are willing to pay what it costs or even know the difference.
    My first door customer was a large, successful cabinet shop that employed 50-60 people. One day, one of the founders was chatting with me and said that I should not worry about giving them the best possible doors.Instead, I should be giving them doors that the final customer writing the check would be happy with. Actually he said good enough that they actually write the check. That was an eye opener for me, because it freed me from chasing perfection and the extra material, time, and effort that it takes to get from a 90% level to a 95-100% level. I still strive to make a better product that my competitors, but having an idea of what is good enough can mean the difference between making breaking even and making a profit on any given job.
    Last edited by J.R. Rutter; 06-28-2014 at 9:07 PM.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    My first door customer was a large, successful cabinet shop that employed 50-60 people. One day, one of the founders was chatting with me and said that I should not worry about giving them the best possible doors.Instead, I should be giving them doors that the final customer writing the check would be happy with. That was an eye opener for me, because it freed me from chasing perfection and the extra material, time, and effort that it takes to get from a 90% level to a 95-100% level. I still strive to make a better product that my competitors, but having an idea of what is good enough can mean the difference between making breaking even and making a profit on any given job.
    J.R. That's about it in a nutshell! Most of the time good enough is good enough! And usually much better than a lot of what is available

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Meadows View Post
    J.R. That's about it in a nutshell! Most of the time good enough is good enough! And usually much better than a lot of what is available
    Perfect is the enemy of good enough (Voltaire).

You know just an idea...

You can't be the only one that wants to do woodworking for a living. So instead of everyone starting their own business, since not everyone's so well versed in that, why not get together and form a company? That way the combined talent pool could benefit everyone more than if everyone just went and did their own things... Or you know, merge with other freelance/self employed woodworker...

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Fu View Post
    You know just an idea...

You can't be the only one that wants to do woodworking for a living. So instead of everyone starting their own business, since not everyone's so well versed in that, why not get together and form a company? That way the combined talent pool could benefit everyone more than if everyone just went and did their own things... Or you know, merge with other freelance/self employed woodworker...

Some people might be able to do that, but for others (like myself) woodworking is a solo sport. Even when I was doing it for a living, I only wanted/needed help was when installing or couldn't lift something on my own. But maybe that's why I wasn't very successful.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 06-29-2014 at 9:18 AM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Building on that idea, maybe you could partner with a marketing person .. possibly someone to sell your wares at the fair. Everyone has their own expertise and function.

Calvin,
    From my experience/observations,in the residential trades,the best paying jobs are also the most physically demanding,and will likely put a toll on your body down the road.I know people who pour concrete,roof,lay tile,carpet,and hang drywall can make good money.The problem is,it tears up their backs,knees,and other parts of their bodies.When I was right out of High school,I started working construction,I got a taste of it all,everything from framing to finish trim work.I found an interest in making cabinets early on,and went down that path.If I compare my position now to a roofer,I am probably making alot less money.I have alot more overhead,a shop to maintain,and over $200,000 worth of equipment.But in the big picture,it probably equals out,because I will likely be doing this alot longer than if I was a roofer.I am 41 yrs old,and I hope to be able to do this for another 25 years atleast,assuming i don't run into health problems that are out of my control.If I was roofing this whole time,I would be done working much sooner,and be left with alot more aches and pains.Working those kind of jobs can be like a candle burning from both ends.

I am not in woodworking business, it is a hobby for me, but I think you answer on your own question - "how can someone not have a problem paying a roofing company to come out and roof their house in a day for $8-$10k but doesn't want to pay a man $1700 to build a 3'x7' island that is going to take 2 days by the time you build and spray it?" ​Doing a roof is a necessity, no option to do or not to do it. I can find little bit less expensive roofer but still will be in the same range - $10-15K , when as build a custom furniture - it is a luxury, depend on many factors.
    Funny, but James Baker just posted same answer.
    Ed.