Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unisaw fence replacement?

Unisaw fence replacement?

Hi All. I just got this used right-tilt 52" 5HP unisaw off an auction site, and now I'm going through it to get it up to speed.

The cam handle for the unifence is missing, and I see it's no longer available. Also, the 43" L-shaped extrusion itself is pretty galled up where material would ride against it.

Soooooo… I'm thinking of replacing the fence system. I've actually never cared a whole lot for the unifence clamp mechanism. My dad has one and I always fight with it. I end up doing a lot more of "bumping it into place" than precision setting it where I want it.

I called around locally and found a place (Circle Saw) that still has an old Beisemeyer fence setup (the whole caboodle, fence and rails) for $585 (more than I paid for the saw). I like this type of system, though, as that is what I'm used to on my old PM 66.

I see Peachtree has a popular 43" square extrusion that would replace my L shaped fence, but that doesn't solve my handle/clamp dilemma.

Any recommendations for a fence system for this saw?

I would get a beisemeyer setup. Call Delta parts, Then grizzly, they both should be able to supply you with the fence, rails and legs. $585 seems to be too much for an old set up. call Delta.

The Delta T-2 is the Beis's little brother and has garnered mostly positive comments. Only $200.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Try the Saw Center. They just might have some old parts laying around or know of a source.
    http://www.sawcenter.com/

5. I replace my unisaw fence with Delta's new fence system. I still have the original fence, figuring it should still be good for something.

I replaced mine with a Steel City. It works great. I had to drill one hole in the angle iron so I could bolt it in a tapped hole on the saws table. Price was better than any others I looked at.

If all your missing is the cam handle that is something that could be fabricated quite easy. Clean up the extrusion by careful grinding or sanding. That would give you time to shop for a used Beisemeyer if that is what your wanting. The extruded fence on the Unifence is quite useful at times, so its worth fixing/keeping.
    Larry

I have the Vega Pro fence system for my Unisaw and absolutely love it. Half the price of the Bies and basically the same concept and has a micro adjuster. Big thumbs up for the Vega.

I had the piece you are speaking off from Peachtree for my old Unifence but it did not make the use of the fence any easier.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

I saw these awhile back and think they look pretty good...

http://vsctools.com/shop/product-cat...ble-saw-fence/

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    Hi All. I just got this used right-tilt 52" 5HP unisaw off an auction site, and now I'm going through it to get it up to speed.

The cam handle for the unifence is missing, and I see it's no longer available. Also, the 43" L-shaped extrusion itself is pretty galled up where material would ride against it.

Soooooo… I'm thinking of replacing the fence system. I've actually never cared a whole lot for the unifence clamp mechanism. My dad has one and I always fight with it. I end up doing a lot more of "bumping it into place" than precision setting it where I want it.

I called around locally and found a place (Circle Saw) that still has an old Beisemeyer fence setup (the whole caboodle, fence and rails) for $585 (more than I paid for the saw). I like this type of system, though, as that is what I'm used to on my old PM 66.

I see Peachtree has a popular 43" square extrusion that would replace my L shaped fence, but that doesn't solve my handle/clamp dilemma.

Any recommendations for a fence system for this saw?

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies.

Anybody ever use this Incra TS-LS system?
    http://www.incrementaltools.com/INCR..._p/ls52-ts.htm

Cheaper than the Beisemeyer option I was quoted. I'm used to using my saw's extension table as a work surface (like when putting together face frames with pocket screws, and this setup seems that it would be a bit of a hassle to remove/store/replace when doing other non-cutting activities. Not a deal breaker - just a consideration.

The VSC was interesting, but I wasn't sold. I suspect if they improved their marketing collateral, they would get more takers. $200 for the T-square - to get you started, then you still have to buy rails and an extrusion (or extrusions).

I didn't see anything on the saw center website. Seems like a project to have to talk to a warehouse man to scrounge together a system. Call me lazy.

The T-2 seems to only come in a 30" setup.

Haven't checked out the Vega yet.

Todd

I just put a Shop Fox Classic fence on my Unisaw rebuild a few months back, it seemed like the best mix of quality and price. I think I paid like 375 for the 30" fence system including shipping. I am very happy with my purchase.

Having more tools than I know how to use - Priceless!!!

If you want to get some use out of it while deciding, just clean up the face of the Unifence and glue a piece of formica on. Smooth, but thin enough to use the cursor. The handle is fixable.

Rick Potter

I've made a decision and made my purchases. I've bought the VSCTOOLS t-square fence, 42" extrusion, and a couple handfuls of T-nuts, and I found some NOS older Beisemeyer rails and legs locally. Got the rails and legs already, and should get the fence next week.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

It was interesting, while on the phone with VSC Tools, I was asked what I thought about the videos from Askwoodman. I offered that they were a bit wordy. Mrs. Askwoodman thanked me for me feedback and indicated that a lot of people have the same feeling, but that a lot (more?) appreciate the format, as they never had a formal mentor, as sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    I've made a decision and made my purchases. I've bought the VSCTOOLS t-square fence, 42" extrusion, and a couple handfuls of T-nuts, and I found some NOS older Beisemeyer rails and legs locally. Got the rails and legs already, and should get the fence next week.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

It was interesting, while on the phone with VSC Tools, I was asked what I thought about the videos from Askwoodman. I offered that they were a bit wordy. Mrs. Askwoodman thanked me for me feedback and indicated that a lot of people have the same feeling, but that a lot (more?) appreciate the format, as they never had a formal mentor, as sorts.
    At some point I was thinking about this fence as thought it was a great design but then saw a number of negative reviews about fence deflection and decided not to go with it. Make sure you install and test is quickly in case additional customer service follow-up is required. Good luck!

Doesn't unisaw have a fence that can be configured as a short rip fence and long fence, sounds like a good idea to me.