Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I love Mythbusters, but... yikes!

I love Mythbusters, but... yikes!

I've always been a big fan of Mythbusters. But this video shows me why you should never let anyone use your shop when you aren't there--even intelligent people. I don't consider myself a safety boyscout, but there's some hair-raising stuff here:

http://www.tested.com/art/makers/461...r-desk-part-1/

I used to like them, but saw one episode where they faked repelling. (their gear went right over knots without a problem). And heck, if they fake that, they might be faking anything.

These are professionals. That must be the way to do it.

RP

I stopped watching the video about half way through, but wowza! I'm surprised he didn't get some violent kickback or loose a finger. I'm surprised Mythbusters put their name on this video (sort of).

Speaking of which, the guy hosting is neither Jamie nor Adam. I wonder what connection MB's has to the video series and the host?

The video is from "Tested," which is some side project. As far as I can tell, Tested is the brainchild of Will (the guy in the video) and some other guy, but is "sponsored" somehow by Adam and Jamie--personally, not Mythbusters. Will did a lot of the interviews of Adam's "one day builds," which were sort of interesting. It is Adam's home shop.

That dado cut with the tablesaw scares me... the pieces look wobbly, wouldn't it be safer to do it with that crosscutting jig he used earlier rather than the fence? That looks like a kickback waiting to happen.

Ugh, started feeling queasy about 1/2 way through that. Not good.

Pretty amusing to those of us who know a little bit more about what we are doing but I'm glad no one got hurt! I like how he was talking about a planer and M&T joinery and was using plywood.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

oh goodness me....

I'm trying to figure out why someone with so little knowledge would think he should make a video about his lack of knowledge.

My favorite line: "The internet says..."

The other mystery is why Jamie Hyneman would allow his name and reputation to be linked to this.

"Yikes" about says it all!

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Meadows View Post
    "Yikes" about says it all!
    My words exactly. "I'm not a woodworker but I play one on TV"

Wow, someone needs to take these guys aside and explain to them just how dangerous what they did was and how irresponsible it is to put this on YouTube for others to follow. I've seen a lot of woodworking videos on the web with varying degrees of woodworking skills. Sometimes I say wow this guy is incredibly good other times I wonder why the guy thought it was worth posting. This time I say wow these guys should be ashamed of themselves for posting such crap and possibly having someone think they are demonstrating proper woodworking techniques which they might follow and hurt themselves. Unfortunately some people will assume that if its posted on YouTube it must be the right way to do it. Any lawyers out there want to comment on the liability issue of demonstrating such dangerous techniques and implying they are acceptable woodworking practice?

[QUOTE=Dave Zellers;

The other mystery is why Jamie Hyneman would allow his name and reputation to be linked to this.[/QUOTE]

Or Adam Savage.

John

Blog Entries
    Wow, unnerving to watch that guy work.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.