Thread: Party Time! - Big Chip & Dip Bowl!

Party Time! - Big Chip & Dip Bowl!

This has just a little more finish work to be done on it, but that will have to come in a day or so after the Mahoney's Walnut oil is cured out a bit.

This is ambrosia maple..........just a hair under 18 inches wide and 4.5" to the top of the inner bowl rim. Flared out rim on the chip bowl and on the dip bowl for symmetry. This one required soooooooo much sanding........! Several hand and power sanding sequences and then a full sequence of wet sanding with the walnut oil to bring it to this state.......tear out on the punky areas was not fun.........but I used shellac and all other tricks in my arsenal, but finally got it about right............except now that it is dry, I see something in the very center of the dip bowl and area that did not show up when wet..........it will get a little touch up, for sure!

I made this one deep enough to pile the chip and dip onto it.........after all, if you're going to have a party, do it big! I kinda like the curl and the ambrosia features........notice the limb pocket in the bottom as well.....lots of character on this! I purposefully made a wide base for its stability...........it looks better in person than the pics show IMO........I think it will make a nice center piece for a table setting on party day!

DSC_0449.jpg DSC_0450.JPG DSC_0454.JPG

Just to let you know, that area in the center is from a mandrel when power sanding..........believe me, it did not show up when the thing was wet!

Comments welcome!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 06-28-2014 at 6:58 AM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Very nice work Roger. Is this a glue up or did you have a log blank that large?

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    Very nice work Roger. Is this a glue up or did you have a log blank that large?
    This was a blank from a huge maple......actually one of the upper forks above the crotch.....it was about 20" x 25" and about 6 inches thick.........the wide area was face grain and the orientation as you see is face grain..........I cut the blank into a circle about 18" on the bandsaw to start with, so as to balance it a bit.

Really nice work Roger. Beautiful wood and great idea. I understand the sanding all too well. It seems like a shame to cover up that wood with any thing but transparent chips.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    This was a blank from a huge maple......actually one of the upper forks above the crotch.....it was about 20" x 25" and about 6 inches thick.........the wide area was face grain and the orientation as you see is face grain..........I cut the blank into a circle about 18" on the bandsaw to start with, so as to balance it a bit.
    I asked because this piece is something I've been wanting to do for some time.........I just don't have a piece that big yet. So, I'm assuming this is a twice turned project. If so what thickness did you leave the area underneath the inside bowl? Seems like that area would/could be a lot thicker and difficult to control the drying process..........unless maybe your DNA drying the piece.

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    I asked because this piece is something I've been wanting to do for some time.........I just don't have a piece that big yet. So, I'm assuming this is a twice turned project. If so what thickness did you leave the area underneath the inside bowl? Seems like that area would/could be a lot thicker and difficult to control the drying process..........unless maybe your DNA drying the piece.
    Actually David.........this piece of maple has been in one of my sheds drying for about 2 years. I decided to do something with it, as it looked about as good as it was going to be without any cracks in the blank. I turned this to finish, but most of the time I do roughout and then finish turn on wet pieces. This one sat overnight in my shop on the lathe with most of the cutting done on it...........I did do some final shaping early today, but it was minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Actually David.........this piece of maple has been in one of my sheds drying for about 2 years. I decided to do something with it, as it looked about as good as it was going to be without any cracks in the blank. I turned this to finish, but most of the time I do roughout and then finish turn on wet pieces. This one sat overnight in my shop on the lathe with most of the cutting done on it...........I did do some final shaping early today, but it was minimal.
    Thanks for the explanation.

Very nice one piece chip set! Man I just wish we could get maple pieces that big here.

heirloom piece Roger, good use of shop time

10. Quote Originally Posted by Dok Yager View Post
    Very nice one piece chip set! Man I just wish we could get maple pieces that big here.
    Yep.......I understand, Dok..............but you do have all that mesquite and Sissoo out there! Guess it is a trade off, huh?

11. Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    Really nice work Roger. Beautiful wood and great idea. I understand the sanding all too well. It seems like a shame to cover up that wood with any thing but transparent chips.

Know where I can find any? Thanks Bob!

12. Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    heirloom piece Roger, good use of shop time
    Thanks Charlie...........much appreciated!

13. In that first picture it looks like you have some tear out rings or tool marks inside the little bowl. Or is that something else? I have been working on trying to reduce the tearout in my bowls that look like that. Of course I am just getting started.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Duvall View Post
    In that first picture it looks like you have some tear out rings or tool marks inside the little bowl. Or is that something else? I have been working on trying to reduce the tearout in my bowls that look like that. Of course I am just getting started.
    I edited the original post to mention what this is...........while not a "toolmark" as we normally speak of one, it is done by a tool, nonetheless.........that was left by a 2" sanding mandrel with the last pad I used, which was 320 grit. It certainly did not show up when I inspected the thing while wet with Mahoney's Walnut oil.............I might have a hard time remounting this on the lathe, but do have an idea with cole jaws......more likely a vacuum chuck and have another go at this.

I did wet sand 320 grit and 400 grit by hand, after the power sanding .......so I am not sure why that did not fully blend in with the rest of the turning........frustrating, to say the least!