Thread: Spraying WB Poly

Spraying WB Poly

I'm getting ready to spray some Varathane WB Poly and was wondering if I need to wear the same respirator I used for shellac or can I just use a dust mask?

Any other tips would be appreciated to.

TIA

Jerry
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

The ethylene glycol solvent in waterborne finishes certainly deserves as much respect as denatured alcohol.

I wasn't aware of that, and that's why I turn to the experts here at the Creek.

Thanks Steve
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I agree with Steve...while the water borne finishes are much, much safer than many "previous generation" finishes for spraying, it's still absolutely a best practice to wear a respirator and vision protection while spraying. The respirator is much better at filtering out the fine particulates that get in the air when you spray than a common dust mask would do, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You didn't say what type of respirator you wore for spraying shellac but it should be one with organics cartridges, and that's the same type you should wear when spraying WB products. I use a 3M half face respirator and you can add particulate pre-filters over the organics cartridges, which can be replaced at much lower cost when they get plugged with finish.

John