Thread: Thompson 3/8" Mini Bowl Gouge

Thompson 3/8" Mini Bowl Gouge

Last year at SWAT I bought the little 7" Thompson handle and a 3/8" bowl gouge to have a tool to use when undercutting the rim on bowls. It is also very handy when my little Nova Comet mini lathe is set up close to the tool rack and there is no room for the standard handle bowl gouges. I had previously been using a bowl gouge without a handle for that purpose. It is a little brother to the 3/4" and 24" handle that I bought the previous SWAT for my Powermatic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those little handles are SWEET!

I use them for my small spindle gouges (they make swinging the gouge around for cutting beads and coves easier), parting tool, and a three point tool I have.

Thomas, is your gouge the U or V? My 3/8" Thompson V is one of my most used tools, though in a larger handle. I have considered placing it in a smaller handle more suitable for its use.

I also found that the Thompson gouges are very easy to drill a larger hole into, in case like me, you find that you need a larger tool to fit the handle. Very neatly done on a drill press. Just make sure you first remove the grub screws.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Thomas, is your gouge the U or V? My 3/8" Thompson V is one of my most used tools, though in a larger handle. I have considered placing it in a smaller handle more suitable for its use.
    John,

My bowl gouges are the U style, including this one. I do have one 5/8" V but have not mastered the sharpening and use, and have better success with the U style. Some of that is what one gets used to using or both tools and grind on the tool.

I use a 1/2" spindle gouge with the wings ground back to cut under the rims of my bowls. I find the wings of a spindle gouge much less likely to grab or catch. I mostly use it wit a pull cut and sometimes drop the handle to increase the shear angle. Creates a smooth surface that needs little sanding.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Member Illiana Woodturners