Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trotec Speedy 300 (80w) or Epilog Fusion (32x20 - 75w)

Quote Originally Posted by Rangarajan Saravana kumar View Post
    I have had a lot of issues which any machine owner face like alignment, software update, tube, optics... Etc., goes on. But there comes excellent tech support to rescue us. I firmly advice to look into this
    I think epilog has been doing excellent job
    Epilog get good reports on here for their support, but so do all the main manufacturers. The thing is, whether the support comes directly from the manufacturer or the dealer. My experience has been that manufacturers expect dealers to provide front line support and in turn help them to do this. Part of a dealer's contract is he will be able to supplement his income from machine sales by selling spares and doing servicing.

Dealers come and go and sometimes they aren't always up to speed, and in these instances the manufacturer will step in, but they prefer in the main for the local dealer to do his job.

Like it or not, laser sales alone is hard work to support a dealership. They have no choice but have other strings to their bow. This means they have a bigger headache to deal with when things go wrong. My experience with selling Chinese machines (not lasers) has been that I couldn't find nicer people to deal with but whenever there was a technical issue we ran into problems that took ages to resolve compared with US or European machines. Language was the barrier.

I found that the people in the Chinese companies I spoke to had excellent conversational language but lacked a knowledge of technical terminology, so an issue we all wanted to be resolved quickly could take weeks and sometimes months to get sorted purely due to the inability to translate the problem and the remedy.

Don't get me wrong here, there were instances I had the same problem in dealing with Americans. A notable instance was in confusion over a word than in the UK means intoxicated and in the States means upset. I've been warned about profanity so I can't use it, but you'll get my drift. The gist of the conversation revolved around my asking to speak to someone and was told by the receptionist she'd try to connect me but he was *upset* about something so she she didn't know if he was available at his desk and my replying "I find that hard to believe since he was a teetotaler when I last met him. What went wrong?"

Anyway, I don't care what they say about the Yanks, at least they speak a form of English I can get by with and they have a great sense of humour when it goes wrong, as might be in the extra U in humour. I'd be far more cautious of saying the wrong thing to a culture I lack a knowledge of, especially when I'm exasperated in getting an issue resolved.

Enough said, or as we in the UK might say, "Nuff said,"

I have a Rayjet 300, 80 watts. Slightly different than the Speedy in the software. It runs constantly, 8-10 hours a day 6 days a week and I have only had one problem. The laser tube went out at 8 months. Trotec flew a new tube out and my salesman/rep came out on a Saturday to replace it. This was 8 hours before he had to fly to a trade show. Other than that, not one single problem. Maintenance is very important. Take the side covers off every weekend and clean out all dust and dirt with a low power air hose or a strong shop vac. Every day clean the lens and mirror.
    Trotec negotiated with me and the price I paid was very reasonable.
    Epilogue would not negotiate on price and all I could get was a booklet in the mail. At a trade show I was not impressed with their presentation.

Good luck in your choice and investment,
    Robert
    Robert Tepper
    Trotec Rayjet 300/80 Watt
    Dahlgren 500 Engraving Machine, CNC Engraving Machine
    Pad printer with 5 3/4 x 5 3/4" print area
    Jackson Vulcanizers, 15 x 24", three total
    Hegner Scroll Saws, 14", three total

Brian

In the US after sale support is the realm of the manufacturer. There are a precious few dealers/distributors/reps who will assist but they are the exception not the rule. With my ULS there was absolutely zero dealer support for the entire time I owned it. With the Trotec that was also the case for the first three or four years then my rep saw the light and has been a big help ever since. (He deserves that I mention his name--Andy Wingfield)
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Brian

In the US after sale support is the realm of the manufacturer. There are a precious few dealers/distributors/reps who will assist but they are the exception not the rule. With my ULS there was absolutely zero dealer support for the entire time I owned it. With the Trotec that was also the case for the first three or four years then my rep saw the light and has been a big help ever since. (He deserves that I mention his name--Andy Wingfield)
    This genuinely surprises me, Mike. In fact, I'm quite staggered to learn this. My view has always been that giving good support is an essential part of building a long-term relationship with my customers so they will trust me when they want other machines and give good testimonials to other customers. The easiest person to sell anything to is an existing customer who has been looked after. The hardest is someone who feels let down.

UK law says that a customer's first port of call when a product doesn't work is with the company the item was purchased from, at least during the warranty period. Is that different in the US?

Brian

The distributor/dealer/rep is not responsible for laser engraver warranty in the US. In the case of Trotec, ULS and Epilog the factory/factory branch handles warranty items and provides tech support during and after warranty.

There are some reps/distributors who maintain contact with their customers and who provide various forms of support but they are the exception. And yes, it only makes good business sense that they should, but they seem to have the mentality that they will only make one sale to the customer hence no post sale follow-up. (I went over 7 years without a single contact from a ULS rep/distributor before i bought the Trotec and now another 8 years without any contact from ULS.)
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Hey Matt,

I am about to place an order for my first laser just like you. I was down to Trotec 300 Speedy and Epilog Fusion 32. While I truly belive the Trotec is a solid built machine we are going to go with Epilog. It came down to customer service and many users experience when needing help with trobule shooting and emergencies. Good luck.

John

Welcome to SMC. I don't know where you're located but in the US Trotec's customer service will match anybody.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

So let's try this. Everyone who feels like putting in their vote please remark below. Trotec Speedy 300 (80 watt) or Epilog Fusion 32 (75 watt). Feel free to include why! I appreciate everyone's opinion!

Matt

I've had a Trotec 80 watt on my wish list for a year now. I think I'm getting closer.

I'd go with the Trotec because I've got one and there aren't any better machines on the market.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Root View Post
    So let's try this. Everyone who feels like putting in their vote please remark below. Trotec Speedy 300 (80 watt) or Epilog Fusion 32 (75 watt). Feel free to include why! I appreciate everyone's opinion!

Matt
    Matt, please don't buy a laser based on a popularity poll on a forum. In the end, you have to be happy with the machine, not us. Anyone's opinions here are going to be relative to their own system. You can take a machine that's horrible and 8 of out 10 people are disgusted with it and if you ask the 2 people who don't have issues, they'll say how much they love it. The point being that our opinions are just that, relative to our world, but may not be relative to your world. The things I think are deal breakers for me, might not be features you'd even use. I consider us "power users" of our lasers. We are constantly pushing the software capabilities. However, I know people who have never used, and will never use, a lot of the things we use daily.

I'd evaluate your needs, I'd weigh those needs against your budget, and make the decision that fits you the best. I'm sure you'll be happy with either machine.

I know you're looking for input, but personally, I won't "tell" you which machine to buy because it's A) Not my money, B) It's not my business you're running, C) If you happen to have a bad experience, or get a lemon machine, I have no desire to be the guy who "told" you to buy it, D) I have no idea what you plan to do with the machine, in detail.

Let us know what you decide to get, I'm sure you'll be happy with either machine.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I'm with Scott on this one - polling is not a good way to make a decision like this.
    Last edited by Don Corbeil; 07-15-2014 at 12:33 PM.

Don Corbeil

AutoCAD 2000i

Fair enough. I wasn't going to pull the trigger off of anyone's opinion it was just a poorly executed exercise. Tisk Tisk. Thanks all I'm still actively looking for the right space as I don't want to stink up my apartment!

Best, Matt

Blog Entries
    Matt,

Just a thought if you are an apartment dweller.

Most mid size cities and larger now have shop space/work loft rentals around. I used to use one in Seattle called ActivSpace. You could rent various sized garages or rooms through the facility. I lived on my boat at the time so this gave me dedicated shop space for my wood lathe and whatnot for the 5 years I lived on her. It was a good deal.

Don't know if that might be an option for you.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

I am following this thread closely. I am actively shopping for my second laser and yes, in the end it depends on what is suited to your individual applications. It doesn't matter about various bells and whistles if you end up not using them. That is the part I am sorting through at the moment as well before I get down to negotiating prices.
    Universal Laser Systems VLS 3.50