Thread: Will this paint work for re-painting a plane body?

Blog Entries

Will this paint work for re-painting a plane body?

Right now it's sitting in some mineral spirits, which seem to soften the japanning up really well.

do you think this would be a good choice? what does Satin mean, is it more matte or more shiny?
    http://www.rustoleum.com/product-cat...cover-2x/satin

Please do not suggest products that I cannot buy locally.

I think it'll work, but I'd guess just about any paint would work.

Satin is a little more shinny than matte. Guess kinda close to the surface of an egg.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

The Dupli-Color engine enamel some of us have mentioned costs around $5 to $6 per can and the requisite primer is about the same cost. What is nice about the engine enamel is that the thickness "builds" doing an excellent job of replicating true jappaning. The paint also takes about a week to reach full curing. This type of paint is available at any auto parts store, such as Advance Auto, etc.

As Judson has said just about any paint will do, but in my case, I figured if I was going to the trouble of preparation to the degree I went, along with proper masking, etc., I wanted the closest look I could find.

For the engine enamel, the satin seemed to duplicate the look of an LN plane, while the gloss looked very similar to a vintage Stanley, particularly after a couple of month's usage with sawdust, etc. adding its own help to the look.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    I could get this locally http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Black-Eng.../dp/B000WK2ID0
    what do you think?

I was thinking of using a different color though, like a dark satin gray to go with rosewood and brass.

Matthew, satin is a bit too dull in my opinion. Look for semi-gloss. I don't think you want a wrinkle finish like your second link--unless you want to simulate rust under the paint! I like using Rustoleum as it is fairly slow drying and tends to self level. However, I always brush on rather than spraying so drying speed may differ with the rattle cans.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
    I could get this locally http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Black-Eng.../dp/B000WK2ID0
    what do you think?

I was thinking of using a different color though, like a dark satin gray to go with rosewood and brass.
    I think the 'wrinkle' with this finish is it dries with a texture like an orange peel.

My preference is to end up with a finish similar to the original. For that a gloss black engine coating (spray paint) has used.

I usually just pick up what ever was cheapest at the local Big Box Store.

YMMV!!!.jpg

Of course the choice is up to the person doing the painting. I like the smooth feel of my repainted planes in use. So for me the gloss texture makes a difference.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)