Thread: Blessed, humbled, and a question...

Blessed, humbled, and a question...

A friend of my wife's was packing up their household to rejoin her husband who took a very good job in another state. They didn't have room for a bunch of tools, so they just gave them away--to us. At first, it was a D-handle Chicago Electric 1/2" drill, a well-used Hilti rotary hammer, and a Craftsman worm drive saw (blade guard says Skilsaw--looks identical to my Skil worm drive). I though that was pretty cool, and felt plenty blessed by that. Then, a few days later, the friend made some more moving-truck/personal vehicle space-saving decisions, and my wife came home with our minivan just about FULL of tools:

tools.jpg

Among the miscellany, I came across the following tool, which I have never seen before, and wondered what it was:

mysterytool.jpg

The hook-like bit has a sharpened, triangular profile, with a ball on the end, and there were about 20 more of the bits stored in the handle. Any ideas, SMC?
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I can't make out the details of the tip, but it looks a lot like a deburring tool.

It is definitely a deburring tool. I never found a use for the telescoping part, could not get sufficient force to the tip with it extended. Look inside the cap for extra cutters. You replace them by pulling back on the collar. The cutter is designed to work only in one direction - clockwise around the lip of a hole, ccw around the perimeter of a block.
    Handy tool for metalworking.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Cool...would not have guessed that. I had found the spare tips and could tell how to change them, just no clue what it was for. Thanks!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Congrats....and that is the evidence for the theory to never leave your wife behind to pack your tools when moving. I could have found room for all those in the trunk of a sub compact, but would probably leave the boxes of serving plates and purses on the side of the road, where as she would not find room for many of my tools but could find a space for every seasonal serving dish ever even if it meant strapping a bag on the roof.

Congrats on the tool score!

As others have said definitely a deburring tool. They work quite well actually on taking the burr off steel or other metals. You can stick the bit in a hole and make a few quick revolutions and the hole is chamfered or at least not a threat cause bloodshed any longer. It looks like a nice haul for free. Congrats

Could it have been designed forcleaning up the inside of a tire puncture prior to installing a plug?

Just a WAG.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=routaburr&sprefix=gillette+fu%2Caps%2C178 &rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aroutaburr

It is called the "Rout-A-Burr". They were the original I think but many imitators these days.