Thread: What color should I paint my plane... poll

Blog Entries

What color should I paint my plane... poll

Since I see any good paint will work, the gloss options are:

Ivory
    Black
    Grass Green (fairly dark)
    Deep blue

Tote and knob on very dark chocolate brown with a slightly reddish hue, other parts are brass. blade will be a tsunebauro blue steel same thickness as a standard iron.

This is pure Tool fun.

One other option, as used by a line of planes from Ohio Tool Co. They had a Crimsom colour on theirs.

I always thought the blue of old Record planes, and the British Racing Green of Clifton's looked pretty nifty.

The Ivory could be pretty cool and kind of unique.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

I think the ivory would be really neat. Every time you look at it you will be reminded of the work you put into it to make it a great tool.

There are times when a man just has to make his own decisions

As long as you don't paint it Oh Behave pink.
    That was ***FABULOUS*** for a while . . . I suppose . . . for all those young cool guys but I think the fad has about run it's course . . . at least around here.

Last edited by Winton Applegate; 06-29-2014 at 2:22 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

I like all the colors you have chosen above. You will get all kind of opinion here, but just go with your heart and what you like. You will be much happier.

Blog Entries
    leaning towards Ivory.... the more I think about it the cooler\nicer I think it'll be. will just wait to get a frog to match.

Crimson is nice too IF it's a good shade, but I don't think I can get that easily.
    Last edited by Matthew N. Masail; 06-29-2014 at 3:22 PM.

Go for blue. Someone gave me a record plane years ago and I stripped the blue and painted it black. If you paint a black plane blue, it'll all even out!

Don't misunderstand me . . .

I didn’t mean to seem un interested, or un helpful

Here are a few things to take into account when making any long term life changing choice, as this one most certainly is. At least these are a few of the things that Queenmasteroftheuniverseandbabybunnytrainer and I take into account before making ANY decision :

• Do keep in mind that the planet Mercury is still in retrograde and will be for the next week or so (“or so” is taking into account the time it spends in transition until it goes direct again).
    • What is your dosha ? How does this relate to your temperament and health requirements from a woodworking perspective.
    • The opposite color, which your brain unconsciously “fills in” to balance the color your eye is perceiving taking into account the light source. See bullet point “Light Source”.
    • Light Source and how it makes the color you choose APEAR to look: Natural sun light ? Artificial lighting at night. You ARE using full spectrum bulbs? Of course you are. Stupid question but I had to ask it.
    • Effect of the color on your most frequent visitors. We don’t want the plane setting the boarder line psychotics off on a wild and frenzied killing or burning spree. See institutional paint color choices.
    • The auditory properties of the name of the paint for those future video spots as well as in print articles. For instance “Titanium” white is IN and hip. “Lead” white is practically the equivalent of calling in the hazmat and cordoning off your shop as a super fund hazardous waste vortex of death. “Turbo” is way cool if you find a color that incorporates that in it’s name. Probably will have a rearing horse or shield shaped symbol on the can.
    • Finally what color is your mother in law going to nay say the least ? See above bullet "institutional paint color choices".
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 06-29-2014 at 4:40 PM.
    But
    Better is Better.

Why stop at one color? Pinstripes, rainbow, camouflage or maybe the frog one color and the body something else, how about that iridescent paint?
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

I would go for Clifton green or Record blue. I would also polish the hail out of the edges to give a nice, almost chrome-like highlight to the edges! Top it off with your choice of cherry for tote & knob or go opposite in wood color to a dark rosewood. Polish the cap to almost chrome-like.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Go for blue. Someone gave me a record plane years ago and I stripped the blue and painted it black. If you paint a black plane blue, it'll all even out!
    Lol Well at least your honest about your motiv, I mean, you obviously don't like the blue....

I would strip the paint off and wet the body good then leave it set outside for a week or so. After it is adequately rusted, clear coat. I started a thread recently on how to make something rust, there is a lot of good info there if you decide to go this route.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Why stop at one color? Pinstripes, rainbow, camouflage or maybe the frog one color and the body something else, how about that iridescent paint?
    Glow in the dark . . .
    could start a whole new sect of Intuitive woodworking. Leave the lights off and see where it takes you.

I stripped the blue and painted it black. If you paint a black plane blue, it'll all even out!
    You have just taken the whole fill in the missing color for balance thing to a whole 'nother galaxy. It is just this kind of thinking that is going to get us to a permanent maned (and womaned) Mars settlement first.
    But
    Better is Better.

If the shop lighting is low, or uneven - brighter colors make misplaced items easier to find.

I like British racing green, myself.