Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What color should I paint my plane... poll

Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post
    Flames-ya gotta have flames if you're going custom paint job. Think how fast it'll look like its going.
    Don't forget the giant NOS stickers from AutoZone... that's what all the cool kids are doing.... or so the movies tell me.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I like having a few of the same size set up for different tasks.

One of my #3 sized planes is used for rough work, sometimes like a scrub plane. The other one is set up for thin cuts used in final smoothing.

My #4s are pretty near all the same. That way there is no need to stop work just because the blade is getting dull, just change planes.

My #5s are all over the place, some for jointing some for smoothing.

One of my #5-1/4s (set up as a dedicated scrub plane) looks like it was on the losing end of catastrophe. The other one is a fine user when a junior jack fits the bill.

Surely the minimalist approach is a valid choice. Though one thing is certain, I know each one of my tools fairly well.

I even remember most of their names.

jtk
    Sound like you have a use for them all, that's not what I meant. I mean I don't like tools sitting on the shelfe not bieng used.
    I also have a very small shop, so less is more in my case.

I like working in pairs, 2 low angle block planes, 2 smoother and such, one set fine and the other medium or heavy. 3 is maybe the most I'd want

If you paint it John Deere Green, and then decide to replace it with another plane, you can sell it to Marv Werner for a fortune.

I could easily like an ivory plane! Post pics when complete!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    I will tony. the frog is on it's way. once I confirm it fits I'll get to work !

Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    That be alright. Kind of a battleship look?
    Well, if that's the case...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzle_camouflage

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    I definitely see how it would work at sea. However I think it would make me sick in the shop.

Way to go Derek !
    That's awesome (in a frightening and worrying kind of way).
    A guy ask once, while listening to Frank Sinatra singing on the juke box, "I wonder who HE listens to when he is feeling bad ?".

That made me think . . . do shrinks have shrinks ? (no derogatory intent there; I just like the sound of the word).
    If so what does YOUR analyst have to say about that hand plane ?

Plane skins to change the look per the seasons and holidays?
    Why not!
    After all, the bosses where I work do that with their little dogs.
    May as well put clothes on our hand planes.

Very witty,Winton
    Ha, ha
    the way that sounds reminds me of two movie moments :
    The first one is from Haunted Honeymoon; an exchange between Gene Wilder and his old butler from when he was a child.
    "He's a widower."
    "widower than what ?"
    "What ?" "You said he is widower . . . widower than what."
    . . .
    "So he is a widow man ?" "Yes." "That's all I was asking."

And the second movie moment (which as far as I can determine was not supposed to be a comic moment as there are no comic moments in the film) is from It Came From Outer Space
    and is a a comment on the findings of the scientist's assistant Bob :

"That's odd Bob."

Okaaaaa not as good as Very witty,Winton but right up there.

PS: one more (from the Marx brothers movie Horse Feathers) :

"Is there anything further Father ?"
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 07-03-2014 at 11:45 PM. Reason: " "
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Whatever. Chartruse. Clear coat it. Let it rust. Just use it.

About that dazzle paint job

If there were more than one person like Wonko The Sane

and there isn’t
    but if there were (which there isn’t) they would all show up , with their fleet of ships painted dazzle camo.

Wonko assures me he is quite sane, and I believe him, though I have no example of “sane” to compare his behavior to to verify that claim.

As I recall the comity that came up with the dazzle idea for camouflage during war time was the same comity that did the statistical study of the universe . . .
    it was called the
    Mid-Galactic Census report,. . . and like most such surveys, had cost an awful lot of money and told nobody anything they didn't already know -- except that every single person in the Galaxy had 2.4 legs and owned a hyena. Since this was clearly not true the whole thing eventually had to be scrapped.
    along with the dazzle paint.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 07-04-2014 at 1:04 AM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Thats hilarious Winton, I've got to reread that someday.

Late to the coffee conversation of the day, well yesterday, but I'd consider festool colors maybe.

Blog Entries
    So it's done ! I wasn't sure how I liked it at first, but it's growing on me. I fitted it with a thicker blade, while I really like the stock irons, I prefer to have a slightly tighter mouth (not very tight), and a thick iron allows you to have that with the the frog still fully resting on the casting.

P7310263 (1280x960).jpgP7310265 (1280x960).jpgP7310266 (1280x960).jpg

I like it. I'd like a little more gloss in the paint, I feel like, and it'd be neat to take a little enamel model paint with a brush and fill in the Stanley logo to make it pop. But it looks nice!
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Looks nice and clean! Did you primer it first, then top coat with the ivory color? Spray can method I assume

Nice. Rat Rod style planes!

Perhaps we could find an artist to paint on faux-rust, and sun-faded enamel

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    I would strip the paint off and wet the body good then leave it set outside for a week or so. After it is adequately rusted, clear coat. I started a thread recently on how to make something rust, there is a lot of good info there if you decide to go this route.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle