Thread: Quick question about a 1080 Combination plane

Quick question about a 1080 Combination plane

So I'm here in Maine on vacation, and ran across what someone has labeled a 1080 Sargeant combination plane for $225.

From what I'm seeing, super deal here is to be had. Thoughts?

I'm on my phone, so now pictures right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Adam Cruea; 06-29-2014 at 4:02 PM.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

I dunno - a quick look and there's one on the auction site with 21 cutters for a hundred bucks less, buy-it-now, with a handle that looks in better shape; and another one with a wooden box for a buck eighty and no bids (with three days left).

I have no idea about anything about combination planes, but I feel like I've seen them less than that. I think I'd check what a few reputable dealers (Hyperkitten, Pat Leach, etc.) have charged for them, and see what they've sold for on eBay and forum listings, and haggle accordingly.

At the end of the day, anything is a deal if you want it more at that time than the money you're parting with. I've bought things for too much because I wanted or needed them then, or the convenience of holding it trumped waiting for one to show up at a better price or deal with something more "sight unseen" at an auction. The big factor for me is whether I actually need it or just think it'd be cool. I've talked myself both out of and into tool purchases by thinking hard about what would make past tasks I plan on doing again easier. It saves me from filing the cabinet up with gimmicks, and keeps me on task. It still hasn't stopped me from plugging things up with too many braces, though.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

No. Way overpriced. If you like it, I'd go to ebay.

Well, whoops!

Eh well. Win some, lose some.

Are you up in the Norway area? If so there is a Stanley 45 with a good set of cutters for $135.00 that looks in good shape. It's at a place on Rt 2 in Bethel heading toward NH.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    Well, whoops!

Eh well. Win some, lose some.
    We've all been there!

In the past, I was always a "buy first and ask questions later" kind of person, and lost money on plenty of stuff when I wanted to sell it.

Blog Entries
    You would be better off with a Stanley 45 if you ever need a replacement part.

For $225 I snagged a Stanley 45, a Ward's 45, all the standard blades and all the special blades.

Now that was a deal.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

More than I would pay. I do however have 2 complete Sargent 1080 planes and use them for plow planes and for tongue and groove work and they work well for this.

3 and 1/2 years ago I paid $79.99 for a complete Sargent 1080 in original wooden box. One of the bottom corners had been chewed away. Mice had nested in the box. Plane and cutters okay after cleaning - minimal rust. I like mine. I also have several Stanley 45's and Stanley 46's and one Wards 45 in really good condition. I got them all from eBay and never paid more than $100 at a time.