Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer Woes

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    That works because Linux doesn't give a rat's-a$$ about permissions on NTFS volumes.

But Linux DOES care about permissions on Linux volumes and you absolutely can get the same trouble (can't access some of your native Linux files under your Linux distro).

Discussions about operating system merits are akin to comparing a LN to LV/Veritas hand planes.
    You're not wrong about THAT one . I tend to use NTFS or FAT32 to archive linux files because I have no need to restrict access so avoid the permissions issue. FAT32 don't care 'nuthin 'bout no permissions (as far as I can tell).

Apple is already running on top of Linux

Although I used to be a heavy apple user (back in the 80's), I have very little recent experience. But, it seems to me that Apple has worked hard to support their hardware. They limit what is available (limit your choices) and that means that you are far less likely to have compatibility issues. Not always true I am told, but mostly so. So, you pay a premium for it, but you certainly get something in return.

On Linux, I can find an application for almost anything and simply say "install that". I happen to really like a lot of what I can simply install and run.

On the other hand, Windows has more of certain types of applications; for example, tax software and the latest games.

For sure, Linux seems to run multiple virtual machines much better than Windows. I have not done this on MAC so I cannot speak with authority on this, but, I understand that it does a good job (by good I mean better than Windows and no comment on Linux or Mac being better).

I know for certain that Linux was way more stable than Windows, but Microsoft seems to have improved significantly in this regard. I find that some of the video drivers on Linux can be a bit flaky. I used to find the same on Windows, but, they were still usually more stable than the Linux video drivers.

Oh, and my opinion is that Microsoft creates the best Visual software development environment, but, again, that is just my opinion.

That works because Linux doesn't give a rat's-a$$ about permissions on NTFS volumes.
    Well, mostly.... I think that the real trick is that as long as you can become root on Linux, you will not have special hidden fiddly attributes that prevent you from just doing what you want.

But Linux DOES care about permissions on Linux volumes and you absolutely can get the same trouble (can't access some of your native Linux files under your Linux distro).
    I have seen this a few times, but, that seems to be far less common. I have also heard about some new attribute that on some file systems it can prevent you from doing almost anything to a file until you realize that this one particular attribute is set. More likely to see that sort of thing in a large server environment I think.

When I last had problems on a Windows box, even as an administrator, Windows refused to let me change things so that I could copy files from one user account to another. I would tell it to change the permissions, it would say "sure, I can do that for you" and then nothing would happen. You are correct that this can happen on Linux, but, less likely. For an experienced system administrator I expect that none of this would have been a problem for either OS (well, still maybe for one of those odd-ball Linux cases).

Discussions about operating system merits are akin to comparing a LN to LV/Veritas hand planes.
    For sure this is true. I can provide a list of things I like and dislike for these operating systems.... My favorite Bible software runs great on Windows and MAC, but not on Linux. It also happens to work on Android with reduced functionality; too bad WINE is not able to run it on Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post

Kinda sorta maybe. From Wikipedia: OS X is based upon the Mach kernel. Certain parts from FreeBSD's and NetBSD's implementation of Unix were incorporated in NeXTSTEP, the core of Mac OS X.

Although I used to be a heavy apple user (back in the 80's), I have very little recent experience. But, it seems to me that Apple has worked hard to support their hardware. They limit what is available (limit your choices) and that means that you are far less likely to have compatibility issues. Not always true I am told, but mostly so. So, you pay a premium for it, but you certainly get something in return.

On Linux, I can find an application for almost anything and simply say "install that". I happen to really like a lot of what I can simply install and run.

On the other hand, Windows has more of certain types of applications; for example, tax software and the latest games.

For sure, Linux seems to run multiple virtual machines much better than Windows. I have not done this on MAC so I cannot speak with authority on this, but, I understand that it does a good job (by good I mean better than Windows and no comment on Linux or Mac being better).

I haven't done it lately but Windows ran pretty well in a Virtualbox VM under Ubuntu. It seemed like not all that much of a performance hit for common uses. You would have to pay attention to Windows licensing. I believe that some Windows versions cannot be run as a guest O.S. but I'm not at all versed in such matter.

I know for certain that Linux was way more stable than Windows, but Microsoft seems to have improved significantly in this regard. I find that some of the video drivers on Linux can be a bit flaky. I used to find the same on Windows, but, they were still usually more stable than the Linux video drivers.

The Nvidia drivers for linux seem pretty stable. ATI/AMD used to be a problem but I believe that has improved lately.

Oh, and my opinion is that Microsoft creates the best Visual software development environment, but, again, that is just my opinion.
    It seems like with Linux if you can find application software and compatible hardware it's a smooth ride. If you can't live without MSO, Adobe CS or Quickbooks, Windows in a VM or dual boot is the only practical option AFAIK. MSO and older Adobe stuff supposedly work pretty well with WINE/Playonlinux/codeweavers but I've never played with it.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 07-08-2014 at 8:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    FreeBSD, really.

When having problems w/ permissions on Windows, drop to a command-line as Administrator and use the cacls or icacls. I usually just take ownership of the files but you can get more finely-grained than that, too.

*nix permission issues depend on the filesystem.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 07-08-2014 at 10:37 AM.