Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your underside

I heard of a wealthy person who got blood poisoning from a blister on the toe from playing tennis. This was in the 1920's. Any cut or injury causing access to the bloodstream could be fatal. Going to a dentist was dicey.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I heard of a wealthy person who got blood poisoning from a blister on the toe from playing tennis. This was in the 1920's. Any cut or injury causing access to the bloodstream could be fatal. Going to a dentist was dicey.
    Still can be. A former boss of mine almost died from a major brain abscess after a visit to his periodontist.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Well, I most certainly don't want any deaths related to my table!
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    Well, I most certainly don't want any deaths related to my table!
    No worries! We have penicillin now! Splinter away!
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    I know that it has been proven that properly selected, oriented, and dried wood will not warp with finish on only one side, but I still can't break the habit of partially believing the old saw about finishing both sides to prevent warping.
    Dave,

Do you have a link to something that explains that? I'm like you and still apply more or less equal amounts of finish to both sides of a panel, although I don't spend anything like the same amount of time smoothing or refining the hidden side, away from a few inches at the margins in the case of a table top.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 07-05-2014 at 3:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    Smooth, and I usually finish them with the same finish as the top, but to a lesser degree.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I finish both sides.

For one, it gives me twice as much area to possibly show on the outside if I screw something up (like an apron on a table).

But, I'm also highly obsessive about the details. To me, the underside, if it's ever possibly going to be seen, should be smooth and finished. Not to mention, kids will inevitably crawl under/around/over things and feel them due to curiosity, so make it smooth and safe for young hands.

The only reason my workbench isn't finished and smoothed underneath was because I was in a hurry and wanted to get to building stuff. I wish I'd have taken the time to at least clean up where my face vise goes into the apron; it's slightly out due to the unfinished bottom.

I'm highly critical, though. Especially of my own work. I've made several things for my wife that I would much rather turn into firewood, but she insists on it being just fine and very nice.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.