Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Restoring a Mini 24

Restoring a Mini 24

I've recently acquired an Epilog Mini 24, 40W laser cutter that has had a fire in the cutting chamber. I'd like to try to restore it to a usable state, but it needs some significant restoration. Once I got a lot of the burned crap out and most of the fire extinguisher residue cleaned up, I put some power to it. It homed the y-axis, but the belt is melted though on the x-axis which prevented it from fully starting up. As far as I can tell, the laser diode, power supply, motors, and controls are all operational.

I know as of now that I need to replace the left belt bracket on the y-axis, the auto-focus plunger, the x-axis belt, and the air-assist tubing. It would probably be a good idea to just replace the entire x-axis because it is going to take a lot of cleaning to get running smooth again. The exhaust manifold and engraving table are both warped from heat, but I know a pretty decent metal worker that might be able to restore them.

My question is, where can I buy the parts that I need to restore this thing? It's one of the pre-2010 models, so I think it uses some different parts than the current generation Mini. I emailed tech(at)epiloglaser(dot)com, but they have yet to respond to me. If I am able to restore the laser, I'd also need the original Epilog drivers/software. I don't want to take any money out of Epilog's pocket, but if they are unwilling to sell me parts, do I have any other options?

I'm sure epilog will sell parts if they have them available, this IS how they make money.
    You are not taking money out of their pockets in the least.

Since you said the engraving table is warped...

If your friend can work miracles, make sure that the table is tested on a granite surface plate and a dial indicator.
    also ask epilog what is the tolerance of the table, then you will have something to measure against and see if you are within that spec.

That will tell you for sure if it's true or not, you don't need to go thru the whole restoration process only to find out that you have to do it all over again because the table isn't flat.

*I* would pull out the entire wiring harness and bench test every wire/connection point.

Fire has a funny way of doing unexpected things, and the last thing you want to do is not be unaware of an open, short, or worse of all intermittent connection. Yes, it might be a PITA, just take *LOTS* of photos before pulling it out, take photos of the connectors themselves and what they plug into as well. that way when/if you get tired/frustrated you can look back at the photos.

In a laser engraver I would not be surprised to take 80-150 photos, including of how the wires are run in the machine and at various angles.

I would inspect PCB's for lifted components, etc. While they may have been protected from the flames, they might not have been from the heat.

I would also inspect/photograph before spending one dime in parts. you never know what you might find till you do a full tear down.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Robert Walters; 07-01-2014 at 8:20 PM.
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4

Epilog responds faster to a phone call. To find the exact replacement part you would have to determine their supplier and most of the parts you need are custom made for them, and they probably can sell only to Epilog by contract.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Actually, this laser is built differently than my GWeike. The part that is warped is the "pan" that the different cutting services sit in. It has rulers that fold down around its perimeter. The previous owner was using the expanded metal grid when the fire happened, and that thing is wrecked. I didn't even notice that the pan was warped until I removed it from the Z-axis mounts.

I'm actually an electrical engineer and an electronics hobbiest in my spare time, so I'm fairly confident that the wiring and PCBs are in good shape. I have removed the laser diode and power supply, opened them up, and cleaned out as much of the fire extinguisher residue as I could. I didn't open any sealed parts of the laser diode, though...don't want any contaminants getting in there.

Where I left it this afternoon was deciding whether or not to drill out the rivets that hold the exhaust manifold into the chassis. I can't get in the manifold to clean it without drilling out the rivets, so it's probably going to happen. The plastic parts of the exhaust ports in the "pan" are melted, so they will have to be replaced at a minimum.

"the auto-focus plunger"

Leave it out. Easy to focus without it and gives more head clearance for odd shaped objects. With it installed you will jam it up against some uneven piece of material.

Good luck with the rebuild.

Pete, I realize this sounds incredibly ignorant, but how do you focus without the plunger? Thanks!
    Live Oak Forge
    40W Epilog Mini 18
    Shopbot 32"x24"x6" PRT
    Shopbot 48"x48"x6" PRS
    Next Engine Scanner
    Artcam
    CorelDRAW X5
    Multiple and various other implements of destruction

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Simmons View Post
    "the auto-focus plunger"

Leave it out. Easy to focus without it and gives more head clearance for odd shaped objects. With it installed you will jam it up against some uneven piece of material.

Good luck with the rebuild.
    Pete, I took the plunger off my Gweike, and it included a focusing tool that works just fine. I don't think that's possible with the Epilog, though. There isn't really a "lip" on the lens holder to manually adjust the focus length like there is on the Chinese lasers. Plus, I'd trust Epilog to execute auto-focus better than the Chinese do.

I have a small V shaped spacer (came with Epilog Mini) that slips over 2 pins on the lens carriage and is held in place by 2 magnets.

Thanks guys. I got my Epilog second hand and didn't get a "tool". I'll check out their site.
    Last edited by Bill Munroe; 07-02-2014 at 12:05 PM.
    Live Oak Forge
    40W Epilog Mini 18
    Shopbot 32"x24"x6" PRT
    Shopbot 48"x48"x6" PRS
    Next Engine Scanner
    Artcam
    CorelDRAW X5
    Multiple and various other implements of destruction

Manual focus. Lotsa dirt but the lens is clean!

focus.jpg

Man, you guys are too hi-tech for me!

Here's my focusing tool...

========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Epilog tech support got back to me today with some CAD drawings including BOMs. That's helpful for determining the names/part numbers of the parts I need. I responded back with a slew of questions that will probably take them a while to answer.

I tried to remove the exhaust duct today, but even after removing the rivets, the duct is not removable. It looks like the frame was built around the duct, so I would have to completely disassemble the frame to remove it. How critical is it for the ducts on the engraving table to be flush with the plastic sliders on the rear exhaust duct? If I can't remove that thing to flatten it, it might be a deal-breaker.

Also, Epilog just directed me to buy CorelDraw when I asked about their software. Are the job control plug-ins and drivers free from Epilog?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wilhelm View Post
    ...Also, Epilog just directed me to buy CorelDraw when I asked about their software. Are the job control plug-ins and drivers free from Epilog?
    Epilog doesn't use "job control" . Just a specialized print driver. Just like sending a Corel file to a printer, but in this case to the Epilog laser.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Got some good work done today. Turns out that the part of the exhaust duct that is warped is removable from the rest. I got that taken off, and my metalworking friend is going to fabricate another one for me this weekend. I also cleaned up the x-axis and found that I really only need the parts that attach directly to the focusing lens...everything else is in good shape. I might get out of this thing only having to buy a new focusing head assembly and a cutting table. It'll still probably run $1000, but far cheaper than a new Mini 24.

Or just measure it ... Sometime I use my focus tool, but other times its just as quick to grab the tape measure and bring the table/part up to 2" from the lens. Your lens is most likely a 2" focus..