Thread: 3 Pc Vanity

3 Pc Vanity

Well, this is a screwed up build. I have a small bathroom. The vanity goes wall to wall. If I built it as a single unit I don't think I could get it installed. So I split it up. Since there are drawers in the center the deck doesn't matter to me. Plus I'll be covering it with a 1/4" pc of plywood to cover the seams and make it look pretty even though I doubt anyone will ever see it.

I have is setup so I can install the left unit and then the right unit and then slip the center unit in and screw it from the rear to make it into one cabinet. This way I can scribe both the left and right stiles to the wall and have a nice perfect fit.

So I am nutz?

Assembled the doors and the drawer fronts today. Made the boxes and glued them onto the face frames. Sized the doors and drawer fronts.

Here it is pieced together

Here is the bottom of the drawer cabinet. Those joints are from the left and right cabinet decks merging under the cabinet. The drawer cabinet doesn't have a bottom until it's place in position and then pocket screwed down. That's the secret to the build so I can do the wall to wall scribing easily. I did a 1" ship lap joint on the meeting decks so there won't be a gap to the floor. It doesn't matter anyway, it'll be covered with a 1/4" pc of plywood.

Boy was I glad I did made the build the way I did. Really made install much easier. Cutting the holes for the plumbing was much easier with the lightweight cabinets.

Very cleaver Leo,The black finish looks good.Not a easy color to get right every flaw in ones work can also show with black.
    Thanks for sharing

Nice job....Don't really like black cabinets but they look nice....Who's the cleaner that's going to get all the way to the back....long reach

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jolliffe View Post
    Nice job....Don't really like black cabinets but they look nice....Who's the cleaner that's going to get all the way to the back....long reach
    Funny you say that. I mentioned both to her. That black will show every speck of dust and having feet means you need to clean under the cabinet as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Very cleaver Leo,The black finish looks good.Not a easy color to get right every flaw in ones work can also show with black.
    Thanks for sharing
    Well I had some problems with crap in the finish. I had 2 gallons cans to spray from and the inside of the cabinets and the backs of the doors are flawless. Then I ran low and got another can to do all the fronts of the doors and face frames. The doors ended up being good. Each one had a little plick in it but by the time the conversion varnish shrunk/cured they were nearly invisible so I let them go. The big drawer however had 3 large pcs of crud in the panel field and both outside cabinets kept getting crud in them.

On a Sunday I took 2 hours to clean the spray room, every nook and cranny. I reshot the 2 vanities and #*& $^%@*@!! more crap. I gave up and cancelled the Monday install. Sanded the finish off them and shot 2 coats of the black primer. I brought it over to a buddy with a spraybooth and got a new gallon of finish that was the same lot as the first batch that I had such good luck with. He got it done. He did have to reshoot one drawer front because of crud in the finish. But between the two of us we got r done.

The client was thrilled.

Yep I feel ya I used build reef tank stands and canopys.I had two customer that wanted black.getting them right was a time thief.
    Never again will I do black.Thanks Andrew

That's a great way to fit that puppy in there! Beautiful cabinet!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...