Thread: Needed a better mallet

Needed a better mallet

and had some spalted....whatjamacalitIMAG0141.jpg this is half of it. About 11" long for both of them. Not quite 3 per side. Dragged the old lathe out and fastened down to the benchtop. After a bit of making chips flyIMAG0139.jpgthe one laying down was one I inherited, and was too skinny. New one is standing up. Dark stained Oil finish. Made the grain almost POPIMAG0140.jpg Might be a decent mallet? Not too bad for a rookie...

'

'
    '

Pretty.

Aren't spalted blanks weakened by fungi,
    which make the colored patterns?

Will give this a test drive after awhile, waiting on the finish to cure. Made the grip a bit thicker to fit MY hand, and maybe stand up to pounding a chisel better. Going to swing it like a ball bat, in that one has to hit the grain in a certain direction. Figure this is right in the fancy grain areas. About like the Louisville Slugger Logo..

Cool - I didn't know you were a turner as well. Nice work

By the way, this would be a nice addition to the Shop Made Tools and Machines forum

IF I get my normal computer back up and running, I might just do that.

Mainly do spindle work, IF and when needed. Haven't tried a mallet before this. have turned a few front knobs for a few hand planes, though.