Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much is it worth it to insulate the shop?

How much is it worth it to insulate the shop?

I have a plan set which I've been discussing here for awhile to insulate my shed which is also my shop. I believe it's very worth it and don't plan to back out, but I just want to see how worth it people see it as. The plan to insulate the 16'x9' space, including insulating roof, floor, and walls; including two new windows and rebuilding 4 doors; including AC/Dehumidifier and heat; I would expect to run me between $800 and $1500. Things I would expect is better environmental protection to my $5,000 worth of power tools, less wood warping, rodent protection, a more comfortable working environment, ability to use finishes in cold temperatures, no need for long sleeves, etc. I would assume that it may potentially pay for itself in some way too. Energy cost was a concern, but I've also heard from people that they've seen no difference in there energy bill for such a small space

Michael,

I insulated my shop with R-19 in the walls and R-40 IIRC in the ceiling. I use NG heat with a common meter shared with my home. We saw no significant increase in heating expenses when I installed the hanging gas heater in the shop and started using it. I work in short sleeve t-shirts year round in my shop.

I don't have AC but often see a 18º F difference in temperature in the summer between the outside and inside temperatures. It is supposed to be in the mid-high 90's here today.

In the winter I typically set the thermostat for 54ºF and if I plan on working in there on a given day, I will go out, turn the temperature setting to 68ºF. I go back to the house, have another cup of coffee and then the shop is warmed up. If I am finishing, I will turn the temperature up to 70ºF, 2-3 days before I start applying finish so the materials and the finish have a time to acclimate before applying the finish.

Insulate? I would.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Mike, I think you've hit on the two parts of why to insulate your work-space, regardless of the size. I too do a bit of work out of a relatively small, old 1 car detached garage, which isn't yet insulated. But ultimately I plan to insulate, for the same reasons you are. What I'd add though, is that for a space that isn't a professional, full time pursuit, a vapor barrier and a nominal amount of insulation puts you way up the curve of diminishing marginal returns very quickly. Your tools and raw materials will thank you for the now conditionable work space. Working on projects will likely be more enjoyable, and conditioning the space would require a smaller amount of energy input to maintain a given heating or cooling setting.

But on your last point, unless you've been trying to "condition" the uninsulated space, and know what your energy costs are currently (ie trying to heat an uninsulated garage with no vapor barrier, with some method of accounting for the energy used), you're unlikely to see "reduction" in energy costs once your space is properly insulated. I'm actually expecting the opposite. I don't go out of my way to try and heat or cool my uninsulated garage now, because I know that would be wasteful. But with a vapor barrier, insulation, and probably sheet rock, I'm more likely to pursue things like a direct vented propane heater, and potentially dehumidifier or air conditioner during the summer, and this will all represent ADDED energy costs for my workshop. I think the difficulty of getting this "apples-to-apples" comparison is where people probably over reach a bit on conjecture for energy cost savings, once insulated.

Two cents, anyway, happy 4th of July.

Bob.

My 20'x20' garage shop walls were already mostly insulated, along with the garage doors when I bought this house. I did insulate the attic space above a few years ago and noticed an immediate 5-10 degree difference, especially in the summer. I don't have heat or A/C so it does help though now that the summer swelter is kicking in, it's still very hot and sweaty working out there this time of year.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Two years ago, I built a 40x40x12 pole barn, originally with no plans to insulate or otherwise control climate aside from vented soffits and a vented ridge cap.

I found out the first summer that I can't work out there due to the heat and I found out the first winter that I can't work out there due to the cold. So I added a 75000 BTU hanging heater, which did absolutely nothing other than waste money and warm up the rafters. That first winter was a total bust.

Last summer, i decided it was time to properly finish the interior - it cost a small fortune in re-engineering fees (the trusses were not initially designed for a ceiling load) but in the end has been completely worth it. After framing / insulation (R-19 walls, R-40 ceiling) / drywall, I can stay quite comfortable all winter (though I did shut the shop down for all of January and February last year due to sky-high propane prices). And so far this summer, it's been considerably cooler in the shop than the outdoor air temp without any kind of air conditioning. I do plan to add an A/C unit but may hold off until next spring to do that.

So I have no regrets other than not being smart enough when I was designing the building to make sure future insulation / drywall would be accommodated -- I could have saved myself almost $2000 in engineering and material costs if I had done it right the first time...

Just ran a quick price estimate and came to $1,200 not including the actual ac/heater

Go for it. I would. Well, I am!

Absolutely insulate your building! Pay less now or pay more later but you will ultimately end up insulating. The temperature swings will make working in there challenging and very uncomfortable. Even if you don't heat and/or don't cool, the swings will be much less with proper insulation and all the contents in the building will be happier as well.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Absolutely insulate your building! Pay less now or pay more later but you will ultimately end up insulating. The temperature swings will make working in there challenging and very uncomfortable. Even if you don't heat and/or don't cool, the swings will be much less with proper insulation and all the contents in the building will be happier as well.

Ditto to what Chris said.

I live in Michigan. When it's hot out, my shop is so cool inside that it truly feels like I have air conditioning, but I don't. Dozens of people have made that comment when they've entered my shop and closed the shop door on a blistering hot day.

2 by 6 walls and R-38 in the ceiling between the engineered I-joists. When it's cool at night in the summer, the shop is warm inside. Like others have said, do it and don't look back. Great return on my insulation investment after 15 years in the shop.

David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Blog Entries
    I live in a mild climate (coastal Southern California) and my garage is my shop. Even here I wouldn't think of not insulating a shop. Your wood, your tool and you will appreciate the moderation in temperature. Everything will last longer and be better calibrated for it. You will have more time that you enjoy being in the shop as well. There are downsides to a well insulated shop. Last weekend I needed to keep the garage door closed during some operations where distarctions and interruptions would have cause safety issues or ruined a piece wher there was already a significant number of hours in it. The garage eneded up being ~15 degrees warmer than the house (~80 F) due to the water heater, equipment load, and my body heat and exertion. Normally though I can keep it quite pleasant year round. Insulation keeps the noise down as well. Our lots are 35' wide, so I try to keep the disturbance to the neighbors to a minimum. It works well.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Best money I ever spent when I built my 16 x 24 was to insulate. By having a fairly consistent year round temperature, you eliminate one of the unnecessary hassles of whatever project you are working on, leaving only the necessary ones.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cramer View Post
    Ditto to what Chris said.

2 by 6 walls and R-38 in the ceiling between the engineered I-joists.

David
    That puts me to shame in my situation, I'm running r-13 in the walls, r-10 in the floor and doors, and r-20 on the ceiling. Still, I feel that will still be a major upgrade to no insulation. In southeastern PA, our climate is considered mild, but this past week humidity has been brutal. I still have my new grizzly planer I bought a few months ago in the packaging grease, haven't even used it yet, and I may not remove the packaging grease until the sheds insulated. Some of you euro guys may be laughing at me being worried about a Grizzly planer, but at this point $2,000 is a lot of money for me

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Yadfar View Post
    That puts me to shame in my situation, I'm running r-13 in the walls, r-10 in the floor and doors, and r-20 on the ceiling. Still, I feel that will still be a major upgrade to no insulation. In southeastern PA, our climate is considered mild, but this past week humidity has been brutal. I still have my new grizzly planer I bought a few months ago in the packaging grease, haven't even used it yet, and I may not remove the packaging grease until the sheds insulated. Some of you euro guys may be laughing at me being worried about a Grizzly planer, but at this point $2,000 is a lot of money for me

Anything that you can put in the wall is better than nothing and you will definitely see a return on it.

For what it's worth, I furred out the walls to make them 2 by 6 dimension specifically because I wanted more insulation in the walls...Michigan can have easy winters and brutal ones as well.

For what it's worth, I would consider myself one of the "poorer" guys on this site. Our house is 1,100 square feet and I would also consider $2,000 a lot for me as well (no euro stuff in my shop either). I own a 13 inch DeWalt Planer and a 6 inch "bench top" Delta Jointer, not the cast one either, the bed is aluminum. I am still blown away at the finish I can achieve by using both of those machines. Truth be told, if money were no option, I might own something different, but it is. Sorry for going slightly off-topic.

I don't drink, smoke, take drugs, etc...never have, but I thoroughly enjoy my family and woodworking and that's where I put my money. My shop is tight and very well insulated, so the time and money that I spent there was well worth it. It's unbelievably cool inside when the weather is hot outside.

David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

I spent years shivering in my 25x25 shop and got tired of it. I insulated the ceiling, walls, and put 2"rigid insulation on the concrete floor and a red oak T&G floor over the top of it. I took out the old doors and put in insulated doors. Now I keep my shop heated in the winter. It has been wonderful, to just go in and get to work whenever I want to. I also do not have to worry about rust on my tools anymore.

From a guy that has an uninsulated shop.... Insulate it. Mine is just a vapor barrier and sheetrock, and it sucks!!!
    While you may not see any significant reduction in energy savings, though I don't see how, your shop will be usable for longer periods during the year.
    If you think you may want to work in your shop year round, insulate it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)