Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Porter-Cable Safety Recall

Porter-Cable Safety Recall

Porter-Cable has issued a safety recall today on the bases of some of its production routers: http://www.portercable.com/SafetyAnn...f-4849548c80e7

The explanation is that the handles on these bases aren't insulated and thus represent a shock hazard. The notice shows a photo of a base that's deemed safe to use and which has plenty of uninsulated surface that can be touched during normal operation. Anyone want to take a stab at the rationale behind this?
    Chuck Taylor

Thanks, I will get mine ordered today.

Again Thanks

Thanks for posting. Less than 5 minutes on phone and on order.

When routing live wires, be careful not to touch the metal part of the handle while using the new insulated base?

They said mine would be shipped once the replacement part became available. Who knows when that might be.

told me would ship middle of july but stressed that am not to use the router till get new base.

Thanks for posting this. They told me I would get it this month and that I should not use it "in the hand-held position" until I get the new base. Mine is mounted in a table, so no problem waiting for me.

I receive this warning yesterday BUT I fail to see why the tool base need to be insulate if it are made out of plastic

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    I receive this warning yesterday BUT I fail to see why the tool base need to be insulate if it are made out of plastic
    The one I have is not plastic, it is cast aluminum or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    The one I have is not plastic, it is cast aluminum or something like that.

what do you think , that maybe the company knew that the tool would be recall but went ahead with the design anyway

I really doubt that they would go ahead with the design knowing that there was a potential recall. They have been making this same router for years and I think that mine is a 2006 or something like that and has the same metal handles.

I will call next week to see if I need to get a new base.

What info do they require?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The recall covers routers built from 1990 on. I'll bet Porter-cable designed the router under whatever regulations were in effect twenty-five years ago, and the regs have changed.

I'll check mine when I go to the shop tomorrow, but I'll bet the aluminum exterior of the router is connected to the ground wire. That has been common practice for decades. If that's true, I can't understand what the CSPC is concerned about.

Wow, if that were to be a shock hazard, you have a worse problem than un-insulated handles, you have a serious problem in the motor as well. Unless of course you are routing through live wires! Or have a mis-wired outlet(did find one of those just yesterday, and no, I didn't wire it!).

The base without the "insulated" handles has been around for years. I can't imagine it poses that much of a shock hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    Porter-Cable has issued a safety recall today on the bases of some of its production routers: http://www.portercable.com/SafetyAnn...f-4849548c80e7

The explanation is that the handles on these bases aren't insulated and thus represent a shock hazard. The notice shows a photo of a base that's deemed safe to use and which has plenty of uninsulated surface that can be touched during normal operation. Anyone want to take a stab at the rationale behind this?