Thread: Jimmy Clewes Style Platters

Jimmy Clewes Style Platters

Lately, I have been doing several Jimmy Clewes style platters. These are the most recent I have done in a total six at this time. The first two platters were turned from a piece of red oak that came from a tree that was at our high school that was destroyed by the Joplin tornado of 2011. The first one was a gift to the new high school that will be displayed in one of the trophy cases. The third platter is a piece of curly maple with the rim dyed blue using Chestnut dye. The fourth platter is a piece of quilted maple with the rim dyed red, blue and then red again using Chestnut dye. The platters range in size from 10 3/8” to 11 ¼” wide and 1 ½” to 1 7/8” high.
    The first two were dipped in a blend of oil and then Beall buffed, the other two were sprayed with several coats of Deft lacquer and then Beall buffed. C&C welcomed.

1255-1.jpg 1256-2.jpg 1258-4.jpg 1263-3.jpg

Just beautiful!

Not a slacker in the bunch. Well done!

Nice work! Did you burn off the solvent like Jimmy does!?! Always makes for a neat show.

Hard to compare finishes with pics, but which finish did you prefer for the platters? I realize the oak will finish considerably different than will the maple, but I am curious of your thoughts.

5. I like them all Steve, the quilted maple is my favorite though, it leaps out and grabs your attention.

Nice work, mate! Jimmy would be proud.
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

Thanks everyone for the comments. These style platters are really fun and easy to do.

John, not I did not light them up like Jimmy does. As far as the difference between the finishes, I definitely like the ease of dipping them in oil. However, I think that if you use dye there is no question that you have to go with the lacquer. The high gloss finish is a necessity. The lacquer is definitely more time consuming--spray several coats, sand smooth, re-spray several coats, sand smooth, wet sand and finally buff. Unfortunately, I'm still learning on how to do the lacquer more effectively.