Thread: How to ensure rockers work properly????

How to ensure rockers work properly????

Anyone out there have any tricks of the trade to ensure my bandsaw rockers work properly? Ie anyone have a foolproof way to make sure I don't have a flat point, I tried using a template with my router table and a 3 inch flush trim bit, but my quarter sawn oak doesn't work well on the router.....

Glenn,

Template routing should be a good option. What problem are you experiencing with oak on a router table?

I am not a rocker king but I have made a few sets.
    I made a template out of MDF, then sanded it and got it to the shape I wanted.
    I install one of those template pins from Rockler on the bandsaw. With double sided tape attach the template to my wood and cut it real close to the template. When I say close I am like 1/32" from the template.
    Now I take it to the router table with a share cut straight pattern bit, works well for me.

If you're talking about rockers for a rocking chair, I laminate bend mine on a form. Never had a problem with flat spots.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    What the heck is a bandsaw rocker?

Blog Entries
    Is your problem with the white oak and the router due to tearout? The standard rule of always routing 'downhill' is extra important when routing tearout prone materials like oak and ash. A template bit with an upper and lower bearing allows you to filp the work to avoid routing 'into' the grain direction. This can be done with the template mounted to the blank or with a loose template held in place along with the blank in a jig.

template-routing-jig-v2-7.jpg o-GnG BC-1-vert-template.jpg template bits.JPG
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

In addition to what Glenn recommends, I wonder if anyone makes a shear cut flush trim bit with bearings on both ends? If not, it'd be easy enough to add a second bearing and locking collar on the shaft. I'd think a shear cut or spiral bit would help with any tearout.

Blog Entries
    I have the pattern routing capability, but I band saw my rocking chair rockers and smooth them with spoke shaves and card scrapers. I find it to be quicker and more dependable. It's difficult to recover from router bit tear out.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 07-05-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Torbert View Post
    ..... ensure my bandsaw rockers work properly?.....
    Once again.. ????What the heck is a bandsaw rocker????? Is it some sort of jig or fixture for a bandsaw? Or maybe as Bill implies, a part of a rocking chair? Or is this one of those threads where if I don't know what it is, I should just stay out of it? But I'd bet there are others reading this that don't know what what you are talking about either.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 07-05-2014 at 10:41 AM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Larry,

Glenn is not responding, so I will venture a guess that he meant bandsawn rocker instead of bandsaw rocker. He mentioned having trouble with template routing so he is trying to cut smooth rockers just using a bandsaw.

Just a guess, but we will never know unless he reappears.

Glenn, I would avoid quarter sawn oak, if indeed we are referring to chair rockers in a short in height profile. Steam bending would result in superior strength with quarter sawn grain on the side of the rocker. Otherwise flat sawn should provide an easier to work and stronger product.

Blog Entries
    LYNNECHAIR32.jpg

I've built 8 rocking chairs , all mortise and tenon chairs. They all had sawn rockers with the grain oriented lengthwise with the rocker. One is a quartersawn white oak chair. It is 8 years old and there have been no structural problems. I've made chairs from mesquite, cherry, white oak and curly maple. The qs white oak chair is shown.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 07-05-2014 at 3:01 PM.

Thanks guys for the ideas, got the rockers to work great..... the quarter saw white oak did not work very well on the router table with flush bit, too much tear out, ended up using a small blade on the saw cutting within 1/32 of my template line and then sanding them out using a 48inch horizontal belt sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Once again.. ????What the heck is a bandsaw rocker????? Is it some sort of jig or fixture for a bandsaw? Or maybe as Bill implies, a part of a rocking chair? Or is this one of those threads where if I don't know what it is, I should just stay out of it? But I'd bet there are others reading this that don't know what what you are talking about either.
    Bill's post mentioned a bandsaw pin, I think he's talking about one of these

http://www.rockler.com/bandsaw-duplicating-pin

Doesn't look like a bad way to go.