Thread: DEWALT DWP611PK for use with a shelf pin jig?

DEWALT DWP611PK for use with a shelf pin jig?

Before I put together a jig for it, is the DEWALT DWP611PK a good choice for making shelf pin holes?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

With the plunge base and a spiral bit, yes!

Very good choice. It is a nice, light router to be plunging a lot of small holes with. And has a pretty effective DC adaptor.

I built a such a jig for my PC 895. Not a huge router, but after a couple hundred holes it seems like it is made out of lead. I've got a DW611PK and I'll be adapting the jig to the DW next time I need to do a set of cabinets.

Cool!
    That's just what I'd hoped.
    My only other plunge base is for my Freud 1700 & I think that's too much router for the task.

I was concerned the little trim router wouldn't be enough.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

The 611 is really not a trim router, it is a 1 1/4 compact router and it has some good power.

The plunge base is set up for a bushing so it will make a good shelf hole driller.

This is a little shelf hole jig I made and it works just great with the 611.

91796523.bzQO6TWT.P1133625.jpg

Bill,
    Would the 611 be enough in your opinion for doing half blind dovetails w/the Harbor Freight DT jig?

I also have an older Craftsman 1.75HP as well as a PC 690 I could use so it's no big deal if the 611 would be pushing things.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Would the 611 be enough in your opinion for doing half blind dovetails w/the Harbor Freight DT jig?
    From what I've heard about that jig (and the other cheap DT jigs)...anything is enough because you'll try it once or twice and throw the @#$% thing against the wall. Apparently they are quite fussy to set up.

The only caveat I have is that half blind DT's have to be routed in a single pass. On thicker or harder stock, this will exert a good deal of torque on a 1/4" shank bit. You can alleviate this by making an initial pass with a straight bit, and then following with the dt bit. But that's a pain.

On 1/2" drawer sides in something like plywood or poplar, I don't think it's an issue.

I like the chamfers on that jig, Bill. Good thinking.

Rick P

I bought an 8mm collet for my 611 so I could use a standard RH boring bit to do 5mm holes. Elaire Corp.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I like the chamfers on that jig, Bill. Good thinking.

Rick P
    Thanks, it makes things go a lot faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Neely View Post
    I bought an 8mm collet for my 611 so I could use a standard RH boring bit to do 5mm holes. Elaire Corp.
    Tell me more. Why is an 8 mm-shank boring bit better than a 5 mm spiral carbide bit for a straight plunge cut? Is the tip of the boring bit ground differently?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Tell me more. Why is an 8 mm-shank boring bit better than a 5 mm spiral carbide bit for a straight plunge cut? Is the tip of the boring bit ground differently?
    It's a spur point bit used in 32mm boring machines, it does cut very cleanly and the cost isn't high for either piece.