Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dresser set for our daughter

dresser set for our daughter

The constuction is done. Now time for the finish. The dressers are from a Woodsmith Magazine plan. (The first time we have used a plan). Constructed of Red Oak, the drawer sides are poplar. Our daughter wants a dark stain (Walnut). This was our first attempt at dovetails. We used a Porter Cable jig. 4112 I think.

Thanks for looking. I will post final pictures here when the project is completed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Gregory; 06-30-2005 at 5:23 PM. Reason: gave credit to wrong magazine. Opps!

John,

Looks terrific and very strong......those will last and last!!!!

The DT's look perfect! do you cut the tails & pins at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Wall
    John,

Looks terrific and very strong......those will last and last!!!!

The DT's look perfect! do you cut the tails & pins at the same time?
    Hi Roy. Both the pin and tails are cut at the same time on the jig we have. Once the set up is right, it is not hard to do. But getting the set up correct can use up lots of scraps. LOL

John .....Fantastic work! Your daughter will love it! More detail on the woods used and what you'll use for a finish. More photos after finishing please!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    Looks like you've done a wonderful job in creating what I am sure will be a precious heirloom. Did you brand it anywhere? I had a small brass plaque made for an armoire I made last year for my youngest daughter, since I don't have one of those "Handcrafted by" branding irons.
    Be sure and post finished pictures, when you've added the drawer pulls!
    Last edited by Steve Beadle; 06-30-2005 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Beadle
    Looks like you've done a wonderful job in creating what I am sure will be a precious heirloom. Did you brand it anywhere? I had a small brass plaque made for an armoire I made last year for my youngest daughter, since I don't have one of those "Handcrafted by" branding irons.
    Be sure and post finished pictures, when you've added the drawer pulls!
    I did get a branding iron last Christmas. So we will brand it when completed and countersink a 2005 penny for the year of it's creation.

John - very nice work. Your daughter should be vary pleased.

Mike

Blog Entries

Nice work

Very nice looking work, I can't wait to see the finished photos. Make sure you finish the insides of the drawers and carcase with as many coats as the outside gets. It will prevent warpage and moisture related problems later on if you do.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

John,

What a terrrrrrrrrrific job! You are a true craftsman.

I am so glad you posted the DT's. I am giving serious consideration to the PC4212 and I think you may have just finished the sale I was heading out the door for a long weekend and got an email from my friend Roy Knapp here on the forum advising me to take a peek at your post before I got away. He has been giving me some good advice on DT jigging and wanted me to see how well you did.

Thanks for sharing and have a great 4th.

Very nice work.
    Question: The drawer fronts appear to be solid - are they?
    And, how much does the raised portion extend from the cabinet frame?
    The affect is beautiful. It's going to be an family treasure for a long time.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Noles
    John,

What a terrrrrrrrrrific job! You are a true craftsman.

I am so glad you posted the DT's. I am giving serious consideration to the PC4212 and I think you may have just finished the sale I was heading out the door for a long weekend and got an email from my friend Roy Knapp here on the forum advising me to take a peek at your post before I got away. He has been giving me some good advice on DT jigging and wanted me to see how well you did.

Thanks for sharing and have a great 4th.
    If I didn't already have the older sibling of the PC4212, I would buy the 4212. I think it has a couple of extra features mine is missing. But the feature mine has is it is paid for

John,

Did you use veneer sheet goods for the sides between the stiles & rails..?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ziegler
    Very nice work.
    Question: The drawer fronts appear to be solid - are they?
    And, how much does the raised portion extend from the cabinet frame?
    The affect is beautiful. It's going to be an family treasure for a long time.

Bob
    Bob,
    The drawer fronts are 3/4" solid red oak. I did the bevels on the drawers using a jig for my router table as suggested in the plans. You can do the same thing with a table saw, but I thought using the router would reduce some sanding. The raised portion protrudes about 1/4" from the face frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Wall
    John,

Did you use veneer sheet goods for the sides between the stiles & rails..?
    I used MDF core veneer for the panels. We had requestes oak ply from our wholesaler, but the guy brought out the mdf by mistake. The MDF core is more costly than the ply. We didn't noticed the error until we were unloading at home. I don't mind the MDF core, I just didn't want to spend more money for it.

An interesting note, we bought the material for our next project. A dresser made out of Lyptus. There is no lyptus plywood, just MDF core. At least that is what National Wood Products told us.

Great job, John. Those will be in the family for a long time!