Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Lie For Tools!! What have I become?!

Will Lie For Tools!! What have I become?!

I recently posted and asked for help in which type of clamps to acquire (my current collection consists of two old pipe clamps). I quickly learned from your responses that there is simply no cheap answer. Well I think Providence paid a visit to me last night:

My wife is a scrapbooker and has a table where she does her thing. Last night she asks, "Now that you're into building stuff, could you make me a nice table on wheels that will slide under my current table? Then when I want to scrapbook I can wheel it out and have a second table to set things on?"

I paused and considered the fact that I have absolutely no idea in the world how to build any table, let alone a "nice" table, but...I looked her in the eye and said, "Well, unless you want a plywood top on it, I am going to need about $350 worth of clamps (Besseys or Jorgy's) to glue up the top." Our eyes remained fixed on each other for a moment as she considered what she'd walked into. Then she says simply "Well, OK, just as long as I get my table."

So...now I have a greenlight to go and make a considerable dent in my "Needed Clamps" list. I can't believe I told her that I can make her a table though!! It just popped out!! Geez! Are there any priests here...I need help!

Stay tuned for my next thread which will show up in about 2 weeks "How do I make a table?!"
    They can have my coffee when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

Rule #1; Always sound confident. (you did that).

Now that it's time to pay the piper, I suggest doing some homework quickly.

Richard

Rockler has 25% off Besseys right now. Will you feel better, if you go back to her and say you need $262.50 in clamps?

That wasn't a lie!!! You just gave the premium answer!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

So all you need is the clamps? You must be one well equipped WWer. Either that, or you better polish up on your technique, cause you're gonna need to go back more.

Greg

You're an amature.

The misses wanted a new dog house for our Siberian Huskey. Got the green light to build it myself since we couldn't find the right AC'd unit in the retail channel. Since I had nada in tools I told her we were going to need a "few" items. So far I'm up to a Grizzly table saw and a few DeWalt odds and ends (12" CMS, Cordless HammerDrill & Cut Off Tool, Circular saw, Jig saw, and Router). Of course to use the router I needed a Incra 17" LS Joinery System - because as everyone knows a well built dog house will have at least a dozen dovetails somewhere!

Almost forgot, had to pick up a second circular saw from Sears as I didn't want to use my good DeWalt on that nasty old Hardie Plank.
    Last edited by Keith Foster; 07-01-2005 at 2:18 PM.
    Keith Foster Carrera Farms

hmmmm lets see besides clamps you'll need.

1. New Planer
    2. New Joiner
    3. Cabinats saw
    4. 3 hp shaper
    5. New Dust collector (gotta keep all that saw dust under control)
    6. New compressor
    7. HVLP spray gun.
    come on guys help me out he's gonna need a lot more then just clamps.

Do you have a truck to get the wood home... If not, you're gonna need one.

Hey Don, almost forgot the DC unit - good catch. I'll add that to my list...
    Keith Foster Carrera Farms

This table only needs a top about 24" x 40" and will stand about 34" high (plus 2" for wheels). I have a table saw, a SCMS, a router/table, and an assortment of handheld power tools--circular saw, 2nd router, drills, orbital sander. Seriously, are there any MUST HAVE tools which I failed to consider?? Thanks!

AllPro tools has their Gross Stabils on sale for July. They'e on the web, Google em.

Don't forget, you can turn a woman's secret weapon on her (no, not the obvious ones): be sure to tell her how much you saved by shopping a sale. That's how I outfitted my shop. LOML may not know "hollow-chisel mortiser" but gets "clearance sale" and "40%-off".

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Samuelson
    This table only needs a top about 24" x 40" and will stand about 34" high (plus 2" for wheels). I have a table saw, a SCMS, a router/table, and an assortment of handheld power tools--circular saw, 2nd router, drills, orbital sander. Seriously, are there any MUST HAVE tools which I failed to consider?? Thanks!
    If you're planning on a solid-wood top, a jointer and planer will be hard to do without.

Welcome to the club!
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Wade,

Years ago my wife wanted me to make her a quilt rack. She said she wanted one with a drawer in the bottom and all of the ones she saw in stores didn't have drawers. This was before I found Saw Mill Creek and fell into this group. I made it using a hand skill saw, Jig saw, a hand drill and a RAS and a couple of clamps.
    It took me a week end. Now it would be a thee week project and the results would be much the same... But I would get to use all of the toys I have accumulated since then.

I agree with James

A joiner and a planer are crucial.

Quote Originally Posted by James Carmichael
    If you're planning on a solid-wood top, a jointer and planer will be hard to do without.
    The planer I can see would be mighty useful, but how is the jointer indispensible? (Pardon my ignorance--I really just don't have a clue when it comes to this! (I can tie a palomar knot with my eyes closed though!)).