Thread: Fresh off the Brown Truck

Fresh off the Brown Truck

Been searching for a complete half set of H&R's for about a year now. I wanted all matching maker and owner stamps, and skewed. They arrived 30 minutes ago, lightly used, Griffiths Norwich numbers 2-18, my guess on date is late 1800's.

image.jpg
    Last edited by James Conrad; 07-03-2014 at 11:08 AM.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Beautiful! Enjoy them. There is something so special about owning a set of planes that you know have always been together. Just think of the forces and events that could / should have caused them to be lost to history.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Agreed Zach! It was important to me that they were all made and used together, not to mention I'm a bit fastidious about these things and my work. Can't wait to tune them up and put them back to work. It has been a long long process but, I should finally be moving into my shop later this month.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

For the most part, I'm not really a sentimental guy. But seeing user name stamps and signs of how the tool was used by past craftsman always gives me chills. It's why I do what I do, not a love for woodworking or the process, but for the history.

Treasure those. And all the best for the shop move.
    Last edited by Zach Dillinger; 07-03-2014 at 11:54 AM.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Blog Entries
    I'm jealous.

Good score.

I am afraid to ask how much it hurt the wallet.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I love the H&Rs, but not as much as your avatar!

Congrats, and enjoy using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I'm jealous.

Good score.

I am afraid to ask how much it hurt the wallet.

jtk
    Thanks Jim, the cost of them is certainly not gloat worthy, but I am happy to have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Voigt View Post
    I love the H&Rs, but not as much as your avatar!

Congrats, and enjoy using them.
    Thanks Steve, that is Joyce Taylor, doesn't know how to saw worth worth a darn, but not sure that matters.
    Last edited by James Conrad; 07-03-2014 at 12:40 PM.

I'll be glad to teach her. (don't tell my wife)

Congrats James, well done. Hope you have many good years of service out of them.

HEY! That same brown truck just showed up at my house with a LV saw file set.
    Last edited by Joe Tilson; 07-03-2014 at 1:24 PM. Reason: Additional verbige
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Wow. Great gloat
    Where did I put that tape measure...

You'll love them Jim. Mine are not all the same owner, but are still mostly matched pairs 2-18. You'll really like them. I have always been satisfied with my Griffiths of Norwich.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

​Joyce Taylor, you say!?

Joyce Taylor you say.jpg

She was a movie star, when they made things the right way.
    Bright lights, painted backdrops, scripts on cardboard and leading men that were manly (when the camera rolled, anyway)...
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 07-03-2014 at 5:47 PM.

Thanks everyone, have a great 4th!