Thread: Exploring Pedestal forms - Walnut

Exploring Pedestal forms - Walnut

I had this piece of walnut log in my shop for a number of months......since last fall when a fellow turner gave me two pieces from a tree he had access to. I have bumped into it 100's of times and moved it nearly as much........so, on the spur of the moment yesterday, I decided to put it between centers and do something with it!

This is an end grain turning from the log section, and the pith is off center [and cracking] , so that dictated I could not turn the pedestal section as thin as I wanted for proportions, but it ain't bad altogether!

This is 8" tall and 7-1/8" wide at the rim..........still have one more coat of satin WOP to put on it after a light sanding back, so it will look even better!

You may remember I have said in the past that I am a fan of pedestal forms........they intrigue me for some reason and somewhere in the deep recesses of my brain this form was resident......nothing new under the sun, so I must have seen something similar somewhere back in time!

DSC_0476.JPG DSC_0477.JPG Comments welcome!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger,
    I like what you've done. In fact, this form must have been in the deep recesses of my brain also. I finished one very similar to yours about a month ago, end grain with the pith and in walnut. Mine is smaller, like 5"tall and 5-3/4" in diameter and the pedestal is shorter, but if a photo of mine were next to yours you would see a distinct similarity. Soaking the pith with thin CA prevented mine from cracking. Great job!!

I stabilized the pith on this with CA also, Richard.

Roger that's some really nice exploration you've done to that piece of walnut.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

[QUOTE=Harry Robinette;2284477]Roger that's some really nice exploration you've done to that piece of walnut.[/QUOTE

Thank you much, Harry!

That's just about perfect yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    That's just about perfect yeah.
    thanks Robert!