Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thompson 3/8" V Bowl Gouge

Thompson 3/8" V Bowl Gouge

I recently bought my first Thompson gouges -- a 1/2" V bowl gouge and a 3/8" spindle gouge. I also bought Thompson handles for both, but my brain wasn't fully engaged when I ordered, and I bought a 16" handle for the 3/8" spindle gouge. It quickly became obvious that a 16" handle on a 3/8" spindle gouge just won't work - too much handle, not enough tool - so I'm going to get a 12" handle for the spindle gouge.

I can't return the handle as it's been laser engraved (beautifully, I might add!), so I need to find a good use for a 16" handle for a 3/8" shank, and Doug* Thompson recommended getting a 3/8" V bowl gouge for the 16" handle.

Which brings me to my question...

How many of you have and use a 3/8" bowl gouge? What sort of projects is a gouge that size best suited for?

I'm not really sure I need one that small, but I'm also a relative newbie to bowl turning and so far have only use my 1/2" Sorby and 1/2" Thompson bowl gouges, both of which seem generally adequate. I would guess that a smaller gouge is for turning smaller bowls, but I really prefer working in the 10-16" diameter range (but maybe that's because I haven't had the right tool...)

* Oops... Doug, not John...
    Last edited by Marty Tippin; 07-03-2014 at 2:08 PM.

I love my 3/8" V bowl gouge for small coves, etc. For general salad bowls and the like in the range you are doing, I am not sure you will find it as useful. But, there is a good chance you will progress to more detailed bowls and it is a great tool.

It is Doug Thompson, BTW - not John.

Thanks, John, for correcting my error - we'll blame it on a disconnect between my brain and fingers... ;-)

You need to clarify whether you're measuring the gouge flute width or the diameter of the tool steel shaft. This is a long standing problem when discussing tools made in either the US or Europe.

I turn stuff in the 8-12" range and I find a 1/2" adequate. I rarely have a desire for a 3/8". I'd be looking larger (5/8") before looking smaller.

I think your 3/8" spindle gouge will do much of the delicate work (coves/details/beads) that you might reach for a 3/8" bowl gouge for. How about a 1/2" skew or 1/2" scraper instead? I'd find these more of a compliment to your arsenal than another bowl gouge....

I love a 3/8" bowl gouge for its control. You can hog off a good chunk with one plus it is nice for finer detail as well. An excellent tool that nice to have. Go for it.

My 3/8" Thompson V ia definitely one of my go-to gouges.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I have both the 3/8" V bowl gouge and 3/8" spindle gouge along with Doug's 16" handle and swap them back and forth depending on the project at hand. I actually prefer the longer handles to the short ones - 16" is a sweet length for me and my style. I use the 3/8" bowl gouge a lot actually - great for when finesse is called for. I just bought Doug's 1/2" U shaped bowl gouge as my addiction needed feeding. Regardless what you decide you will not be disappointed in having another tool or two in your arsenal.

JP

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Donaldson View Post
    You need to clarify whether you're measuring the gouge flute width or the diameter of the tool steel shaft. This is a long standing problem when discussing tools made in either the US or Europe.
    Jamie, he asked about the Thompson tools, so he is looking at a 3/8" flute.

Well I think you've talked me into it... 3/8" V bowl gouge will be ordered soon.

Also going to pick up a 5/8" V bowl gouge while I'm at it.

So that's the next question: 16" or 20" handle for the 5/8" gouge? I don't do (yet...) any deep hollow forms so I'm never working very far off the tool rest which suggests maybe 16" will be adequate.

Like Jon, I prefere heavy long handles for balance. Just finished my Thompson collection--5/8, 1/2, 3/8, and detail geouge. I've got lots of other gouges but these ring my bell. Putting heavy tropical 16" handles on all of them--wood rings my bell also. These are all U shaped flutes. Are you sure about the width variation--I drilled the stated diameter hole for each and they all fit???

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    John, I don't have any of Doug's tools to go by, but I thought he uses the North American method, measuring the diameter of the steel rather than the width of the flute. No?

David

I don't use handles any longer than 16 inch, and most of what I base my handle length on depends on the piece of wood I can find for the job. I don't like any extra weight to have to horse around, and rather than depend on a longer handle for leverage, I move the tool rest closer. Hanging out requires extra work. I have been using smaller gouges on the inside of bowls lately. Most of the time, it was the 5/8 gouges, but some times the 1/2 and 3/8 seem to be a bit easier to control. Interesting thing is that some times, even with the same grind, a smaller one will cut better than the bigger one, and some times it is the opposite..... Of course, it couldn't have any thing to do with the operator......

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    John, Thompson tools are measured by the diameter of the tool steel, rather than the flute width as tools from Europe. A 3/8" diameter gouge would be very small for turning bowls in the size mentioned, and I prefer to do most of my bowl turning with 1/2" and 5/8" diameter gouges.
    Last edited by Jamie Donaldson; 07-04-2014 at 1:06 PM.

Thanks, Jamie. I did mean to say shaft size, but the senior thing kicked in.