Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Pole Barn 40X64X16

Wiring and lights looking good Mike! Be thankful that you aren't closer to the Chicago area, as most of the surrounding counties require the use of conduit for all wiring now. I'm in Will county and conduit is mandatory for all wiring. It comes in handy for when I need to run additional wires, but the initial cost and installation time sucks!

I can't wait to hear how well the radiant heating works out in your shop, as I'm considering doing that when I build my next shop (when I retire to Michigan in a few years).
    Remember, in the next world you're on your own!

My panel is on the outside of the wall so I can do conduit later if ever needed. I am going to put in a crap load of outlets everwhere though so hopefully that will not be an issue. Flexability in working station configuration is a goal in my design.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Mike, when I had my shop in Indy, the electric was in the walls. That shop was heated via propane and the outlets was a source of cold air into the shop. I put those foam gaskets on all the outlets and switches. I didn't have the bubble insulation on the walls, so it may not be as much a problem in your shop. This time I did most everything in conduit. Because of that and I had to move a 220 outlet.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I now have dedicated internet working in the new shop - a wired switch and a wireless access point are functional.

Amazon had a deal of the day on the 27kw electric instant water heater on sale for 360 - a Stiebel Eltron mfg modulating Ecosmart 27 for $360. I picked one up. I may go to a gas boiler eventually so I will make it where I can swap out the electric boiler pretty easily.

Picked up some 8/2 NM and some 40amp 2-pole breakers for the setup from Menards.

Also started picking up the components for the primary and secondary pump system for the hydronic setup - also from Menards. I am copying the hydro shark master pro panel with larger pumps installed.

(can you tell its an 11% store credit back by mail rebate week at Menards)

Also Ordered the pumps - going with some Grundfos UPS26-99FC models I bought from ebay - item# 141481126648. They have pretty nice specs and that price is really good. They are 3 speed and have a flow range of 0-34GPM and a Head range of 0-30ft.

Ill have this heating setup together about as soon as the weather is nice and I do not need heat in the shop.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 03-28-2015 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Removed eBay link per TOS

Mike, this is fun to follow!

Hey Mike, can you hurry up and get the electrical done? I want to see some of that slat wall up.

Just kidding of course. I started my shop several years ago and you'll probably surpass me before long. It's the journey...

Jim

Jim, In the pic below you can see a test piece I made out of scraps from some plyo (jump) box jobs I get. I painted it with a roller to test this cheap paint I bought. I am planning a mass paint job later when it warms up using an airless. Anyway there is a small piece as a sample on the right laying next to a stack of plywood.

Blog Entries
    ^^^ That is one special bike right there. Sure is a lot of shop for that!

Thank you Malcom! Lily owns that bike - she is a big helper in the shop along with her sister Megan. Here is a video of Lily measuring out romex with me. I had to have her wait for the camera, she was digging the lazy susan romex dispenser I set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Jim, In the pic below you can see a test piece I made out of scraps from some plyo (jump) box jobs I get. I painted it with a roller to test this cheap paint I bought. I am planning a mass paint job later when it warms up using an airless. Anyway there is a small piece as a sample on the right laying next to a stack of plywood.
    That should be nice. The white should reflect the light real well, not that you'll have any lighting issues anyway.

It's coming along real well. Fun to watch.

Mike, things are really progressing well! I think that you will like those low bay fixtures; I have a number of them in my shop and have been well pleased with the light output.

Any reason why you hung the lights before putting the ceiling up? I'd assume you're doing tin, but didn't see anything different in the thread.

Pure timing thing. I am doing a plywood ceiling - scored major plywood score of marine grade 3/4 - 1600 1/3rd sheets. I want lights to work on electrical in the evenings. The lights are wired such that I can add the ceiling and drop the outlet romex down through the ceiling when I get there.

I got the first Liftmaster 8500 Jackshaft Garage Door Opener installed this week.

Nice! Have you powered up the radiant heat yet?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Nice! Have you powered up the radiant heat yet?
    No But I got 99.9% of all the parts for my boiler plumbing panel in the last month so that is on the assembly work list too. Ill post the parts I got for it in detail. I am copying the Hydro shark pro panel they have at Menards only with two large pumps. It will have the Grundfos UPS26-99FC pumps on both primary and secondary loop.

While some of the pallets of ply are at the east end I am going to get some T5HO lights up in the center.