Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Pole Barn 40X64X16

This is probably a dumb question but why do the panels have sooo many screw holes in them?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I wuz wundering that myself, Bruce. Must be a mod thang....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    I think the screws go with the overall theme of "as much of everything as I can fit."

Thank you for letting me live vicariously through this thread. I would be so happy with 1/4 of that shop! Keep us posted.

No reason. Its just what I want.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 05-03-2016 at 7:45 AM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

It looks right to me but I'm in SoCal where we think in terms of earthquakes - not IF but WHEN. I have to assume snow & storm load means shear strength is important in other places.
    I'm changing around a couple offices and each stud space that gets opened for electrical gets plywood shear installed before the drywall. Amazing how solid the wall is even with additional doorways opened and now you can mount anything anywhere.

The slats are not glued on - as everything in my build - its all replaceable. So I decided 1.25" kreg screws every 6" or so in two rows per slat. Then more screws on the lines along posts or bookcased 2X6s that attach the panel to the building - those are 2.5" kreg. This is what it turned out looking like. I want no worries whatever or wherever I decide to hang anything.

I am turning green but its not because I am the Hulk.

Worked on a bunch of box orders this past week - customers come first before wall builds as they pay for the walls . The girls helped me out too. I also took some of the Steelcase binder bins I bought super cheap and put slatwall cleats on them and hung them up. They also make great workstations for the girls at their height and even nice tables for me. The outlets were turned off btw.

Latest update:

Calling 120 and 240 electrical outlets, 3ph outlets, AV speaker and hdmi, and control wire for 3 phase ROC station wiring done in walls and ceiling.

I have 99% of wall insulation in and stapled. I have under 18 batts left to install.

I also have 15 of the 25 remaining pallets of plywood airless spray painted (each pallet is 40-50 32"X48"X3/4" Marine grade plywood sheets). These are being made into wall panels in a slat-wall configuration. 10 left to pain!! This is a huge amount of work.

The building currently has 1/2 the east wall (floor to 8') slat-wall walled and I have 1/4 of the south wall complete in slat wall.

I also got new/better weather seals put on the 14'X14' doors.

Man, that slat-wall looks like a pretty powerful system to use. Look how fast you created a small bench top for the girls to use! Awesome.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Man, that slat-wall looks like a pretty powerful system to use. Look how fast you created a small bench top for the girls to use! Awesome.
    Plus 1! Mike's dream shop is to die for!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Finished the painting yesterday. Here is the 1000th sheet on pallets.

Lily my youngest helping me make some ceiling support blocks.

Installed 60 vertical 2X6s that are about 2' long as wall panel mounts for the edges between posts. I Kreg pocket holed them into the bookcased horizontal 2X6s that contain my insulation and in wall wiring. This is the north wall and the north west wall. The north west wall had a few in the wrong spot but I only moved the ones where i wanted easier wiring access and just installed two new rows floor to ceiling.

North Wall

North West Wall

All I can think about looking at the last picture is cutting out all the holes for the electrical boxes... then it hits my how much my hands would hurt after doing all the connections. You should never be in want of an outlet!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.