Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Pole Barn 40X64X16

Plasma cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    John your 45 has a CPC port and RS232 port option too I believe. Perfect for a CNC plasma machine! Dual use it with a machine torch and the hand torch. I ordered both for mine too.
    I'll probably never get around to that (although it would be fantastic!)

The thing is so useful for farm use. Since I got this I haven't fired up my acetylene cutting torch once, the abrasive chop saw is gathering dust, I use my horiz bandsaw and portaband less, and for rough work the cut edges are not jagged so I don't even have to grind/file/smooth. I used to struggle with sawing thick stainless steel - no more. Rebar, floor plate, expanded metal, it is SO quick I wish I'd bought one 20 years ago. Mine is rated for 1/2" but I found it will cut 1" if I don't care if it's clean.

I made a heavy-duty extension cord so I can use it outside the shop.

Here is some of my high-precision work - a stainless steel burn barrel! Inside is a grate made from rebar.

stainless_burn_barrel_comp.jpg

JKJ

Well if you do you are welcome to any of my research. I need a burn barrel to.

I love some of the fire pits folks make!

Happy Fathers Day 2017

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Well if you do you are welcome to any of my research. I need a burn barrel to.

I love some of the fire pits folks make!
    I found extremely cheap, slightly dented stainless steel 55 gal drums at Bubba's Barrrels in Knoxville. (New and reconditioned SS drums are outrageously priced.) A standard steel drum only lasts a couple of years until it falls apart. As well as being stainless steel, my new drums are perhaps 3 times the wall thickness. To drop the ashes, I cut the bottom out except for a 2" wide ring to support my rebar grate. The thing works like a blast furnace!

JKJ

Wow ss barrel for cheap is major score. Great idea!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I found extremely cheap, slightly dented stainless steel 55 gal drums at Bubba's Barrrels in Knoxville. (New and reconditioned SS drums are outrageously priced.) A standard steel drum only lasts a couple of years until it falls apart. As well as being stainless steel, my new drums are perhaps 3 times the wall thickness. To drop the ashes, I cut the bottom out except for a 2" wide ring to support my rebar grate. The thing works like a blast furnace!

JKJ
    Can you quantify "extremely cheap" for the mildly curious? I imagine a SS barrel would be quite pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Can you quantify "extremely cheap" for the mildly curious? I imagine a SS barrel would be quite pricey.
    When I first had the idea of using a stainless 55-gal drum I started looking around. I found them for maybe $500-$900 new, depending on the type and wall thickness. Used and reconditioned (mostly cleaned and sanded to look pretty) were something like $200-$250 and sometimes more. Cheaper if you buy in bulk.

When I told the guy at Bubbas I was looking for a burn barrel that would last longer than a few years he took me outside to a pile of stainless drums. I bought the cheapest with a dent on one side for $50. The second, not pretty but no dent, was $75. I meant to go back for another one or two but didn't.

These had no top and had a stainless fitting welded into the bottom. They evidently used these for testing their other SS vessels somehow but had more than then needed. From the walkthrough of their shop this company apparently catered to brewerys and the food or chemical industries.

They are so quick to cut with the plasma torch. I think one would make the perfect gift for the guy who has everything else!

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Wow- that is cheap!!!

Got some more work ahead of. This will be 12' tall with a 10hp motor on top.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Got some more work ahead of. This will be 12' tall with a 10hp motor on top.
    I swear, I'm going broke just reading your "blog".

Keep it up!
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 07-05-2017 at 1:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    "Has anyone seen the dog? He was standing here next to the dust collector just a few minutes ago..." Good grief, man. That is some serious dust collection right there. You could actually create a small tornado with that thing. I would be afraid my shop would implode when I hit the switch. :-)

Amazing. Will you install it inside the shop, or outside?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    Amazing. Will you install it inside the shop, or outside?
    I am installing it inside.

At $1400 I thought the DC was a great deal. Looks like Ill need $200 in missing parts from Grizzly. Ill be rewiring it from 460V to 220V 3 phase so Ill be changing out the overload and doing some wire movements. It is nice that the box has a transformer so its pretty easy to switch over. All contactors are the same between the high and low voltage setup. Motor cord will change to 10ga from 12ga too - I already have some 10ga 4 conductor and griz wants $170 for theirs. Interesting if you buy the Overload its $59 (and maybe cheaper elsewhere) and you own the extra overload, but if they do the work for you before you get the dc, they keep the swapped OL and charge you $250. Pays to read some line drawings for comprehension. How to do it in the field is explained very well in the manual.

Getting there.
    First was two new 10ga 4 conductor power wires to the motor. First machine that has had that for me. Wired for 220v 3phase.

Next was assemble motor and intake tube and housing together. Lift that in air and drop into the first half of stand and the cyclone body and bolt that up.
    Next step is to lift again and install legs. Also it is getting 2200lb rated ea leveling casters at each leg mounted on M19 stems. Those will be here Monday.

I have 15.5 tall 5' scaffolding. At the top is a 2x6 with 1 5/8 10' long unistrut on top of it. Those two are bolted to the scaffolding with ubolts. Then wrapped around that is a 6600lb rated chain with two 2600lb rated chain links with a screw close sleeve bolting chain to itself. Then a 3 ton chain hoist is on that. At the motor and mount in 3 spots is a bolted on other piece of that chain also linked to frame and screw closed.