Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Pole Barn 40X64X16

Great photo! And yea... you have some air flow there...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mike,

IDK if I missed it or just didn't see it, but do you have H2O, sewer and gas lines running into the shop?

Also, how do you like the height of the shop. Any problems with heating or cooling?

I'm in the planning stages for my new shop now. Currently residing a little farther north than you, Upstate New York.

Enjoy reading your build.

Thanks,
    Bud

I did not run water or sewer. Need an expensive plumber here for that. I have a spigot close and bathrooms close just in the house.

Radiant floor is closed loop water and glycol. No need for running water for it.

I ran 3/4" gas lines but may change those to 1.25". Wish I would have done more research there.

16" is a great height especially if you want a loft in some areas like i do eventually. Tons harder to do work on it though. Scaffolding and my 14' arial safety cage ladder is how i do it. Maybe manlift someday. It is worth it.

I have no ceiling or insulation in the ceiling yet. My wnters are cold. Spray 3" closed cell foam if you van afford it and do a ceiling asap and insulate it.

16' affords 14' doors which when up are like moving up a wall. Its awesome for air moving through shop.

Also 16' means you need at least low bay lights. Best advice is dont skimp on lights. I have eighteen 6 bulb t5ho lights. My shop is the best lit shop i have ever been in by far. Dont skimp, buy in bulk.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Two other things:

Doing dc this big and this distance for big tools is big ductwork and big collector and big power to run that. Be prepared if you are going up in rafters with ductwork. Do the math.

But, 16' will make adding a big widebelt easier and if you did big ductwork and big power you are in a good place to run one.

Also big power and big big space will make running a big saw or other big tools easier.

Btw flipping a 8' and 10' 2x end over end and hitting anything is awesome.

Wow, that DC sucks!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Its no Clausing or 1200/1150 but I like the steel city 17. This one came from Cleveland. Also a fellow from here or woodnet gave me that 48x18 alum table a long time ago. Its back in action. I still owe him!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    ... Also a fellow from here or woodnet gave me that 48x18 alum table a long time ago. Its back in action. I still owe him!
    That looks like a great table - I need to make one. Is there any issue with sturdiness or stability being that wide.? Does it fasten to the cast iron table?

Also, I see you have it on a mobile base. With the tiny, cramped shop space you have I suspect you'll need to put everything on wheels.

JKJ

That table top has two angle pieces welded underneath. Super solid. A pair of pipes is welded as well. Those fit the arm on the dp table.

I do everything mobile. Makes it easy to move stuff around, especially while finishing off the shed. Heck my ductwork is even reconfigurable.

That's a lot thicker aluminum than I imagined from the other photo!

JKJ

I missed this until the last few days and have read every post with interest especially since I am embarking down this road in the next few weeks. Mine will be small by comparison but will allow me to do all I want I think. 30'x56'x14' tall. Also prepping floor for heat. I might have to drive over and have a look one of these days. You definitely are building a shop that makes us all envious. Thanks for the ongoing updates and diary. A work in progress. As someone said you never really finish a workshop.

Sure thing Ron. Anytime.

What are your plans for insulation in the ceiling Mike? Are you going to spray foam it or go with bat insulation and vapor barrier?

plywood ceiling and blown in is my current plan but have not ruled out spray closed cell.

Although the initial cost is higher, the closed cell spray foam not only is a super insulator, it also adds substantial structural rigidity, vapor resistance, etc. I have zero regrets doing our whole addition with it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A buck and inch a sq is the going rate here. Adds up