Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Pole Barn 40X64X16

Makes lifting a regular DC motor look like child's play :-)

What is the dba on that bad boy?
    I like the V for victory on your T-Shirt.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Not sure on decibel output.

The clone was cheap but I am earning it in sweat. Girls called me Shop Heart Carebear.

What an incredible shop you are putting together. When you are done invite SMC for a shop warming party. It looks like you'll have room for everyone.

Your building looks like the perfect place to fly little RC quadcopters and helicopters too!

JKJ

Thank you for the compliments!

Lift #3 today for lower legs.
    Leveling casters tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Just spent the last hour in a campground getting caught up on your build. Absolutely amazing Mike. So impressed with what you are passing onto your girls too!

Thank you Ole!!

In preparation for the cyclone I decided to change to 2.5" conduit between the boxes and rewire up the rotary phase converter with 2ga THHN copper. I also installed a 24V start control box (stainless box with flip down lid in picture) that has a large contactor in it that is actuated by any one of thee three 24V relays. this will allow me to setup 24V low voltage momentary push buttons throughout the shop to start and stop the RPC. I will also have a wireless remote setup that will work with the RPC.

I love how the RPC uses a potential relay to take the start caps out of the circuit once the idler motor is started. So slick and simple and a cheap way to do that.

I have it setup to start the system with just turning on the breaker just for testing until I can get my start stop switches in place. When I test, I test one feature at a time as I build it so I don't introduce several design errors as I create systems in my head. Also when you used parts you never fully know the state their in till you prove them yourself. Comes with buying stuff cheap.

Here is a video of the 20hp RPC starting up.

Here are a couple pictures.

(White wire in 3ph box will be control wire for start/stop controls and the black 6 ga that looks like it loops in the 3ph box is the wire for the new cyclone that will be connected to a breaker after I use the breaker to test the cyclone works first just at the panel.)
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Cyclone startup video

Holy Loud Wind, Batman! I sure hope you're going to put that somewhere that allows you to mitigate the sound level!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Holy Loud Wind, Batman! I sure hope you're going to put that somewhere that allows you to mitigate the sound level!!
    My 5hp was almost that loud too, the reason I built it into a sound-insulating closet. It appears there may be room to squeeze in an enclosure SOMEWHERE in Mike's tiny shop.

Mike, I don't know about the Grizzly, but the ClearVue people warned about running it without the ductwork, indicating the motor will in fact have the highest load then and is in danger of overheating. Your larger motor may not have this issue, I don't know.

I found it interesting to monitor the current the motor was pulling with all blast gates open and with them all closed - what a difference! I didn't try running it without the ducts connected.

JKJ

Yes I dont plan to run it much without ductwork. These starts were rotation check and enough to test my rpc and make a video.

That's impressive, Mike. Nicely done.
    Jeff

Thank you! Love the positive comments! After a lot of work on it, they are sure nice to read.

I decided to test out hooking the cyclone up to the mainline. Did not fire it up yet but closer.
    BTW - to those that do BIG DCs high up without Nordfab and especially the high space HVAC guys- you are superheroes.

Blog Entries
    Warning: you must be at lest this tall to ride this ride.

That is a huge dust collector. I didn't even know Grizzly made such a thing. I showed my wife your shop thread hoping to make her feel guilty that I don't have a similar setup. She said I could feel free to marry you if I want to. So- that didn't exactly go as planned. No offense, but she has a much better bikini body. I'm going to stay put, but I do love the shop. I also appreciate that you keep the kids involved. I love my daughter and I can see that you love yours as well.

First off I got the noise under control. It helps when the impeller is spinning the correct direction.

I also wired in a 50' 6ga four conductor power wire. I think that cable is at least 50lbs by itself.

I also wanted to test it out. I closed off all but two 8" drops that I left fully open and dropped them down another 10' each. These go up to 16.5' to a 10" mainline.

I think it will work just fine . When I closed the lines to just one open 8" trunk, the suction force will pull your skin and eyebrows up with the hair lol.

I made short work of the chips I fed in from the other collector. I will still have another Wye and some splitting off to 4 tools from here but it wont be an issue!