Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Pole Barn 40X64X16

Mi Mike. I haven't used those Wago connectors, but I know what you mean about twisting wires. I'm 90% done with running my new shop's electrical, and was running a 50 amp branch circuit. Ever try twisting 4 gauge? ha! Ain't happening. I was going to use a mechanical splice, but while at the electrical supply house, I was perusing the displays, and saw these:

http://www.ilsco.com/e2wShoppingCata...208:3100012209

OMG. It was the perfect solution. I needed a "T" in my 50 amp line, and three of these little do-dads saved the day for me. Took about 15 minutes to cut, strip and connect 9 wires up, whereas I was predicting well over an hour of time, 12' in the air, splicing wires. They ran just under $14 each, but the time savings and hassle factor were worth it to me.

Todd

Todd those look great!!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Todd,

I found those browsing around at a Steiner Electric store. Perfect solution to tee any heavy gauge wires. I used them in my RPC setup. Definitely a Eureka moment when I first saw them.

Mike,

I know you've already got the metal halide lights installed, but down the road when you get to hating them, Home Depot sells some nice T8 6x32W High Bay fluorescent fixtures that are great for high ceilings. When I bought my hangar, it had four 400W metal halide lights in it. I couldn't get rid of those things fast enough. They were noisy, burned through the electricity like there was no tomorrow, didn't put out much light for the power they were using, took a while to warm up, and if you accidentally turned the wrong one off, it had an extremely annoying 10-minute cool down cycle before they'd power up again. I also didn't care for the color of light that they put out.

I sold all four of them for $100 on CL. The buyer figured he was getting a steal, and I was just happy not to have them anymore. I replaced them with six of the fluorescent fixtures. The 6 fluorescent fixtures use about 30% less electricity, and put out about 50% more light than the four metal halides. They're quiet, turn instantly on and off as often as you want, and you have a broad range of temperature (K) to choose from. I put them on individual switches in a bank that matched the pattern of the lights, so I could turn off the ones where I wasn't working and save even more power. If I put all six of them on, it's like daylight inside the hangar. I believe that the fixtures were only $69 each about 5 years ago (bulbs extra). By far one of the best things I did in the building. FWIW, my six fixtures are 14.5 ft off the floor (on 18-20 ft ceilings), and light 2300 sq. ft. of floor space.

Keith, the six bulb t5ho setups sure look awesome too. Daylight is what I want! I am going to put some in the middle of the shop. Will be great for the quick trips in the shop too.

Got the last four ceiling electrical circuit boards made tonight - will make for mounting 16 metal halide lights.

Looks like I am cleaning up and wiring pigtails on the lights in the AM so I can hang them this weekend.

Need to get started on some wall switches too I guess.

Few more days and nights and I have 12 more lights hung for 16 total - 4 on each circuit. Next up switch and panel wiring for them.

Looking good, it has been fun to follow this build. I am curious why you went with metal halides over t5's?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Grant View Post
    Looking good, it has been fun to follow this build. I am curious why you went with metal halides over t5's?
    Thank you Ken!!

I got 45 lights for with bulbs off craigslist for a stupid cheap price. I have 13 others that mount with a 4" box that are a different style but still multi-tap multi-volt I am going to sell and buy some T5HOs with, the 16 in these pictures that I cleaned up and wired and hung, and another 14 of the style of lights I decided to use, and 2 more that are another style.

I am going to put four T5HOs in the center for instant on light. Eventually all may get changed over to T5Hos over time. The 2Xs I installed make this easy to do. For now I just want a lot of light.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 03-15-2015 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    For now I just want a lot of light.
    I bet you'll get it Mike!

Blog Entries
    Wow! That is a lot of light. Love this build. How many watts per light? I just did a search and a 175W metal halide bulb puts out 14,000 lumens. Wow. You're going to need to wear welding goggles when you fire those up.

These are 320watt.

Blog Entries
    haha. That thing is going to be bright! You may want to post a warning on the door.

laser-warning.gif

Wear hats and sunglasses and sunblock lest you get sunburn.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Tonight's progress. Bottom picture shows How I am managing 6 runs of wire across the 40' span about 8' at a time on my 16' scaffolding. Wire coils rest on the smooth part of the 2.5" Kreg screws being careful not to damaging any jacketing. I installed a wireless access point in the center of the building's ceiling too and an ethernet cable to the location and an outlet for it. Also ran the wire that will be used for a 20amp circuit for some center building instant on T5HO lights as well.

If all goes well in a year or so I will be handing out laser protection but it will not be for lights! Laser engraver is definitely on the list.

Told myself I wanted to flip on 16 candles from two different doors in the new shop by my birthday. I made it with 1.5 hours to spare. 40ysld today.

Also made a couple 3.5" access holes through the main panel to behind the wall and got the service in the box for the second panel. Some days are more Milwaukee corded than Makita cordless!