Thread: Fun in the shop - sharing the hobby with my daughter

Fun in the shop - sharing the hobby with my daughter

My daughter won one of the youth lathes at the 2014 AAW Symposium and today was our first opportunity to turn together. She wanted to turn her first bowl so we got to work on some hard maple 8/4 stock so that she can have a successful first bowl without warping or having to waiting for it to dry to second turn. We had a great time and will finish the bowls in the next day or so (had to stop before hollowing due to prior commitments).

I will say that it is hard to teach turning - it is hard to communicate "feel". I found it best to keep a couple fingers on the gouge to help guide her on the initial cuts. That worked fairly well.

Oh yeah - I copied the tool rack design from several others and made three earlier this week (finished with some dark walnut Danish oil rather than paint them - I like how they turned out). Looks like I need to make a few more since they are full already - and it is always fun to buy another turning tool.

Anyway - fun to share this turning hobby with my daughter... She already has eyes on pen kits and acrylic blanks in my stash.

Happy Turning!
    Jon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wonderful to have that time together. That's a nice set up she won. I bet she was very excited!

IF you need to make the time DO IT they don't stay young for long. It looks like she's really enjoying this,I bet your smiles as big also.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Jon, in my books your both winners, who wouldn't love spending time with their child, while sharing a hobby? That's some fond memories being made, enjoy it while there's still time and interest on her behalf..
    Len
    Last edited by Len Mullin; 07-04-2014 at 12:04 AM.

Great photo! Congrats to both you and your daughter for being able to share all the fun and creativity while turning!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!