Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ads are driving me crazy

Ads are driving me crazy

What's with the blue double underlined words on the computer screen that when you roll your mouse over them an ad pops up? Is there a fix for this? As an example the page I'm on filling this out on there are two blue underlined words. "New Thread" and "Forum". Both pop up an ad for monster.com. I have AdBlock plus installed and it's currently showing over 90 ads blocked from this page in the short time it took to type this. Opps now its 115. I also get unending blank popups titled "Ads By SupraSavings. I guess there blank because of ad blocker but they still cover things up. Have I got a virus? Thanks, Mike. PS, I'm also sometimes getting redirected to"www.domainsa.com/" when I click a new topic or button in this forum and others.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Scan your computer with something like Malwarebytes -- you've got some adware installed either via a program you downloaded, or by some website you went to.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

yep you have avirus

A good malware removal tool is Spybot Search & Destroy. There are others.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Definite spyware. Spybot will very likely nuke it. Using Linux is the best solution. Can't help myself.
    Paul

Thanks, I tried the Malwarebytes and it quaranted over 130 items. I still have the random blue underlined words that popup ads when moused over and the blank windows from SupraSavings. I'll try the Spybot too. Thanks for the suggestions.

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Go to your list of installed programs in the control panel (Add/Remove Programs) sort by date and see what was installed recently. Something like that you will probably need to find out exactly what it is then google how to destroy it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Blog Entries
    What you're seeing is called "in-text advertising". I hate it. One of my forums, meant for engineers, started using it a couple of years back. The trick is to find the companies that are serving up the keywords and block those servers... Vibrant was the biggest offender(and the only for that particular site).

Thing is, it was an option enabled by the website owner, so it is generally not malware or a virus (virus is an overused word that people ascribe to anything that doesn't operate the way they expect).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Well, neither of the suggested programs did anything. When I went to the source for the in text advertising on my computer the "Uninstall" option on the website was just another link to another adverting page. Talk about a Catch 22. I'm ready to ditch the PC and go buy a mac notebook. Just about had it with windows. Just seems to get worse and worse over the years. Used to be really into computers. I had a TRS 80 so been around them a while.

Follow this guide to remove the Supra Savings. If you still have a problem, read the comments at the bottom of that page and there are new tips for removing it based on different names.

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/ads-by-...savings-virus/
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    Well, neither of the suggested programs did anything. When I went to the source for the in text advertising on my computer the "Uninstall" option on the website was just another link to another adverting page. Talk about a Catch 22. I'm ready to ditch the PC and go buy a mac notebook. Just about had it with windows. Just seems to get worse and worse over the years. Used to be really into computers. I had a TRS 80 so been around them a while.
    Why is it that Mac wouldn't have the same problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    Follow this guide to remove the Supra Savings. If you still have a problem, read the comments at the bottom of that page and there are new tips for removing it based on different names.

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/ads-by-...savings-virus/
    That seemed to do the trick. Downloaded the adwcleaner link. It deleted a whole bunch of stuff and things are much much better. Faster as well. Thanks for that link Mike. And thanks to everyone for your suggestions
    As far as why a Mac wouldn't have the same problem, I don't really know, I was just frustrated Don't know much about apple computers although I have never had a problem like this with our IPad or IPhones.
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 07-04-2014 at 8:01 PM.

If you had the trovi virus, you haven't rid yourself from it yet, it hides.
    "Dear God, my prayer for 2018 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last four years."

The way I understand it a lot of programmers hate Microsoft (Bill Gates) because of the way they do business and develop viruses/malware aimed at infiltrating Windows based OP systems and software. Not nearly as much stuff is aimed at the MAC, making it easier to prevent infiltration.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    Using Linux is the best solution.
    Ah - 'real' computers.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-05-2014 at 8:05 AM.